Is there a "How To: Install DA" for FreeBSD?

motobrandt

Verified User
Hi guys,

I've got two new servers with no OS that I really need to get up and running. I was going to wait for FreeBSD 5.3 to be "supported" by DA. But I don't get the sense that it is going to be done soon. So I've decided to go with FreeBSD 4.10. Now I've set up 2 servers like this before but I just "wing it".

I'm envious of the Direct Admin Checklist that has been compiled for Redhat. Is there anyone that has compiled something similar for FreeBSD? I know a few of you are real wizards with it.

Anyway thanks for reading and thanks in advance for any help.
-Brandt

Specifics

Actually Maybe I should be a bit more specific about what would be helpful.

Installing FreeBSD -
~~~ Any tips on partition schemes or packages that would be useful?

CVSUP - This has been discussed but might fit better in the context of a new install rather then an upgrade.

Ports - Any tips here? PortUpgrade? PortAudit?

Security Packages -
~~ Now this has been discussed a bit with some how to's on IPFW but if you look at the Linux How To You'll see how they go in to ChkRootKit, TripWire, Snort, Clam

I think you get the picture. But I really think that it would help this community if we could work to compile a checklist so that the systems that we are working on are much more simple and that we can help each other better. Especially since it seems from reading the forums that there has been a pretty big FreeBSD movement within the DA community. But as Jeff Lasmen points out when the topic arises we seem to have more problems and support issues then the linuz variety. I think that we can lessen the questions and support issues if we can gather something of a checklist.

Ideas:confused:

Back