Ack! Overwrote mysql files...

Ankheg

I was trying to add a DB module to Perl with Yum (CentOS 3.3), and wasn't paying attention and overwrote some of the MySQL config files. Now when I try to load mysqld I get:

050102 22:40:26 Error message file '/usr/share/mysql/english/errmsg.sys' had only 218 error messages,
but it should contain at least 238 error messages.
Check that the above file is the right version for this program!
050102 22:40:26 Aborting

Is there an easy fix that'll allow me to reinstall MySQL without losing all the DBs and passwords?

What Operating sytem are you using? You can probably just make a backup of the data directory, reinstall mysql and then restore the data directory.

There are tools to update MySQL for both FreeBSD and RedHat in the Version Updates forum.

I'm running Centos 3.3.

I can do the backup and restore of the DBs without problem. I'm a bit concerned by the /usr/local/directadmin/scripts/mysqld.sh script; it's usage is:

mysql.sh mysqlrootpass da_dbuser da_pass

Now, I know the root sql password, of course, but I have no idea what the DA user and password are; DA was installed on the server by the DC. Am I correct in my belief that reinstalling this is going to reset those passwords, probably then preventing DA from functioning?

The da_admin user is created during the DirectAdmin installation and is used by DA to act as root when managing databases through it. The password for the da_admin user can be found in the /usr/local/directadmin/conf/mysql.conf file.

If you run into synchronization problems this might help: http://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=45

Other than that I'm afraid that's about as much as I can help you since I've never actually rerun a mysql installation using DA's script before so I don't have any details :(

Good Luck! :)

Last edited:
Back