Moving HD

RackSystems

Verified User
I have a Pentium 4 2.8GHZ server with Hyper treading with DA and Fedora Core 2 installed on it. Now i have another server a AMD Athlon XP 2400+ with no HD.

Is it possible to move the HD with directadmin to the AMD server without reinstalling the OS and DA because this is a lot of work, whith al the customers on it....

Thnx

It might be possible, although you want to make backups just in case ;)

The problem with just moving a hard drive to a new computer is hardware. Either the Operating System will adapt beautiful or it will crash and burn.

I have not actually tried this on a non-windows platform yet.
All I know is that on windows, unless the hardware is the same brand and model, its not worth the time, it's faster just to reinstall than try to get everything working, and even then there would be a lot more glitches than normal. But all operating systems that DA supports are not similar to windows, I can't honestly tell you if it would work or not.

My suggestion would be to reinstall and restore, probably save you some headaches in the future. Unless anybody else has opinions, facts etc. you might want to ask this question at http://www.motherboards.org/forums.
As long as the operating system will survive the move intact without major problems, DA should continue to function normally.

They are usually quite fast and helpful, although its been over a year since I've posted anything there. Time goes by fast doesn't it
:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Actually in windows, it will boot to windows properly, but it will either move back to default drivers or use some drivers that are already stored in your c:\windows folder. (Quite a large selction for generic hardware).

What people mostly do would be to uninstall specific driver for hardware, shutdown, change hardware, bootup then reinstall. The only issue you might face is when you switch chipsets (In this case), but thats windows. ;)

Back