MySQL user

Monteiro

Hi there, guys! My first question here: in MySQL how can I assign an existing user, assigned to a database, to another one?

For example, I have a forum database that has a dba user assigned to it. I have another database caled news with a news user. I need to assign the dba user to the news database. How can I do this?

Hello,

Right now, we have a check to make sure that the user doesn't already exist in the database. This was done intentionally to avoid confusion and possible errors for some new users who might not understand the concepts completely. There have been a few requests of this type, so we might eventually add a dropdown of existing users to add to other databases.

John

I'd also love this feature...

In MySQL, the databases are assigned to the users, not the other way round. If newbies can't understand that, then they should learn, IMHO. If they can't be bothered to learn, they shouldn't be using MySQL.

I'm not being arrogant, nor do I have a problem with newbies; I only started out with MySQL about 5-6 months ago.

It's much easier to admin several databases at once if you can grant access to them all using only one username/password... it's an option which CPanel allows, and the only one I miss.

HTH,
Matt :)

Hello,

If you need to have 1 user/pass for a database, you can use your system account and password. It should work on all your databases.

John

The dropdown list would be just what I was expecting to find ;) And like thoroughfare sayd, newbies MUST learn to become descent webmasters, it's not fair to limit resources because some can't use them... That's my point of view :D

John: do admins have access to phpmyadmin as root? if so i will be happy to write a quick howto on setting up additional databases for current users :)

Hello,

No, they don't. They'd have to use a "root" or "da_admin" account for root. The password for the "da_admin" db user should be the same as the password that was included when the admin account was created, so that should help out a bit.

John

This is what i came out with :)

http://www.directadmin.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=3737#post3737

just select the news DB instaed of a created one thats suggested in the HOWTO, you should then be able to access the 'news' DB using both the dba user and the news user, if you want to remove the priviledges from the 'news' user, go into the 'users' section of phpmyadmin, find the news user on the list, click 'grants' and remove all privilidges from it, alternatively you could remove the user test... with both ways im unsure how DA would react.. im sure the change of priviledges would be fine... not sure if it would like the user being removaed from myadmin.

Last edited:
Back