New Configuration Advice

Smoge

Verified User
Hello,

I am an old WHM/Cpanel user working for the first time with DA. I am running Fedora Core 2.

One of my primary goals is not to break DA - and I understand that I need to exclude some packages from my YUM updates for this.

Other than this - is there any advice for a new configuration - any "watch outs" or "be carefuls"?

Thanks,

Smoge

Smoge said:
One of my primary goals is not to break DA - and I understand that I need to exclude some packages from my YUM updates for this.
These are the updates to skip when updating a DirectAdmin server; be sure to add this line to the bottom of the [main] section of /etc/yum.conf

exclude=httpd* mysql* php* perl* apache* mod_* MySQL* *ftp* exim* sendmail* php* kernel* da_*
Other than this - is there any advice for a new configuration - any "watch outs" or "be carefuls"?
There are lots of things we all learn over time, but if you've been a systems administrator for any length of time, then as long as you follow all the instructions DA publishes for new installs, add a firewall, and properly set up SpamBlocker if you want to use it, you'll probably be okay.

Jeff

Right - no problems...

Right - so far, DA has been zero trouble - and has worked great.

So far, I can highly recommend it.

Smoge

Same situation here. Though using apt-get.

I never managed a DA server before. So it might be a silly question to ask.

If these packages are skipped by an update manager, how do you update them? As I take DA uses other packages then the manager is. Is there some repository available for DA then?

Thanks.

Back