Things to watch for when going to 4.1

interfasys

Verified User
Things to watch for when going to MySQL 4.1

I've recently upgraded mysql on a server and here are some oddities I ran into.

-Table definitions have changed. Somehow the size of VARCHAR was adjusted to the larger stored value (or sometimes to something that doesn't make sense). This breaks a lot of scripts which would want to store larger sets of data.
-There are some charset problems if you import data from another version. You have to make sure that your scripts understand utf-8 or that you create a table with the charset you want it to use. Usually Latin1.

Maybe more things?

I believe it's possible to change the way timestamps are generated by setting it in my.cnf.

Other thing to watch for if you use a DB that has been converted to UTF-8 and if you use PHP. You have to lset the connection to utf-8.

PHP:
$res = mysql_connect(MYSERVER,MYLOGIN,MYPASSWORD);
mysql_query("SET NAMES 'utf8'", $res);

Oliver,

Any luck getting those timestamps to default to the old standard? You mention using /etc/my.cnf. What did you use in there?

Big Wil

I didn't change it myself, but if you check the mysql doc, you'll see that a lot of vsriables can be set in my.cnf or at connection time. The manual gives an example.

I have been all through it. Everything states that it can't be changed. The only system variable for timestamp is a session and not a global variable so that can't even be set there.

I just figured since you mentioned it that you had tried it. Doesn't look like it is possible then.

Big Wil

IIRC, you can set the TIMESTAMP format of a column, so if you you do that for the table that stores the timestamp, you should be able to store the values correctly.

The default value for a timestamp is this:
%Y-%m-%d %H:%i:%s

You can change it by playing with the "datetime format" variable.

Ok I am getting this on my server that runs mysql 4.1

Create new Database <-- link
phpMyAdmin <--- link
Error connecting to MySQL: Client does not support authentication protocol requested by server; consider upgrading MySQL client <--- error normally blank area

Things I have done.

1 - in /etc/my.cnf added.

[mysqld]
old_passwords

2 - Started daemon with --old-passwords switch.

3 - Recompiled php specifying the new mysql client and enabling all mbstrings.

I havent done anything regarding character sets and timestamps, do I need to do these to make directadmin work with 4.1?

As previously stated I have got all normal php apps such as phpmyadmin working fine.

I have done the opposite.

Everything is standard 4.1 including passwords (the only change is that I compiled it so that it uses utf-8 all the way instead of having to define that in my.cnf).

The only thing to do (while we wait for DA to finally fix this) is to set a password for the da_admin user using the old password format.

JBMC Software had said they would upgrade the DA client to be able to use new passwords, but I guess that they have forgotten...

Last edited:
Sweet thats done it, ressetting the password so it was saved in the old format.

Back