Votes: 1 14.3%
  • > 40

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • What is a /var partition?

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters

GameDNA

Verified User
I am in the process of building a new DA install. As I like do do research before beginning any project, I searched for what people were recommending for partition sizes when running DA.

Most of the recomendations made sence to me, but with regards to /var i felt that people were definitely undersizing.

My concern is due to the fact that /var houses /var/spool/mail and /var/log. A properly configured logrotate can take care of the /var/log issue, but /var/spool/mail is another case altogether.

From what I have gathered thus far, unlike other systems that use qmail and the like, DirectAdmin (exim) is configured to store the user's mbox file in /var/spool/mail. So the constraints lie in what size email plans you provide and how diciplined your users are in cleaning out their inbox.

So, what size partition are people using for /var, What is your average email plan size, and how many email accounts can the system support? How much have you actually gotten away with in terms of overselling the inbox space...

For example: 20GB /var, Average of 1GB email plan, 100 email accounts ... That is a Maximum size of 100GB of inbox EMAIL. thus the system is 5x oversold.
Does that actually work? I know that statistically most users keep their inboxes clean, and have other files that will suck up some of the quota, but what happens when you reach 200+ email accounts..

Anyone using LVM to solve this problem?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
/var/spool/mail only holds emali for the domain users, not for the email users for each domain. That makes it a bit less problematical than you've thought.

Here's what we do:
Code:
Directories	Space
-------------------------------
/		 1000 Megabytes
/usr		10000 Megabytes
/var		10000 Megabytes
/tmp		 2000 Megabytes
<swap>		 1024 Megabytes
/home		<BALANCE>

Jeff

jlasman said:
/var/spool/mail only holds emali for the domain users, not for the email users for each domain. That makes it a bit less problematical than you've thought.

That makes sence then... 5-10G could be sufficient, depending on how many domain users there are on the system..

Disk is cheap these days, so I will most likely go with 20G.

Thanks for the clarification.

Back