Looking for days!!

greaseman

Verified User
ok here goes;

I am luving DA it rocks but, since i am not using one of the recomended cps that my server provider suggests i am having a little trouble getting them to help me out with some things like securing/optomizing apache, ssh, mysql then adding firewall.
They are affraid of messing up something maybe connected to DA so they gave me a break on cost cause they didnt want to cause any conflicts. they still keep everything up to date, but are not willing to make any changes.

So heres my problem i havent ever had to set this stuff up and i have been reading like a mad man. I am learning some things but slowly and there is just so much info on the net as you all know you can read for days and never make head nor tails out of anything.

So i guess what i am asking does anyone have any newbie proof guides or links on how to set these things up and avoid killing my server at same time :D securing/optomizing apache, ssh, mysql then adding firewall and install of gzip or mod_gzip

i have followed guide to tweak mysql here in another thread but not sure if was done correctly.

here are some specs to help out

2.4 ghz p4 cpu
512 DDR
2 40 gb hds raid= unsure 1 drive is for back ups only
redhat 9
Apache/1.3.28
PHP Version 4.3.3
mysql 3.23.49

Back