Unable to login to MySql

nbn

Verified User
when I tried to create my first MySql Database, I used the DA user, to create a new user and db.
These I can see in MySql when I am logged in as da_admin. (select user, host from user)

However, when I try to connect:
mysql -u theline_chat -h localhost -p

It keeps replying with (1045) access denied for user 'theline_chat'@'localhost' (using password: YES)

I cant login either using phpMyAdmin.

I have tried multiple options for hostname, however mysql tables contains only localhost.

How do I investigate this. I cannot seem to find any error messages anywhere?

help appreciated

try just mysql -uUsername -pPassword droping the localhost part and the spaces between the username and password.
If you still can't login with da_admin and the password frounde in /usr/local/directadmin/conf/mysql.conf then you might be locked out. I don't know how to recover from root lockout (if it's even possible). So you might have to restore the default basic MySQL permissions database.

Let me rephrase the question:

Any OTHER account I create does not work. I'm not a newbie, and omitting spaces makes ZERO difference. I have tried multiple hostnames (and without), but with same result. user table states localhost anyhow.

Heres a use-case to investigate...

Pseudo-transcript:
mysql>select host, user, password from user;

localhost theline_chat *3D3B92F24203336

mysql> update user set password=password('abc') where user='theline_chat';

mysql>\q

[root@server ~]# mysqladmin -u da_admin -h localhost -p reload
Enter password:
[root@server ~]# mysql -u theline_chat -h localhost -p
Enter password:abc
ERROR 1045 : Access denied for user 'theline_chat '@' localhost' (using password: YES)

Found the answer myself..

It seems that prior to version 4.1, the PASSWD function returned a 16 bytes hashcode, but as of version 4.1 it has expanded into a 41 byte password.

This can be seen when issuing a select user, password from user, and count the number of characters in the password.

According to mysql documentation, you would have to run mysql_fix_privilege_tables, which at least in my case fixed it.

I still had to create new passwords, but now the were 41 bytes.

I wonder why this setting has been garbled.

Now, it that was some public url I could easily find, I might not have been stopped for so long...

However, I did not upgrade, I installed DA just 2 days before, and did not recompile apache/upgrade mysql.

Running the fix has helped , and could easily be executed at the last stage of install...

Hello,

I'd like to know one thing: Did the fresh 4.1.x install setup the old 4.0.x databases (with short passwords)? I can easily add the fix to the installer, but I'm a bit confused as to why on earth mysql 4.1 would setup the 4.0 password length. A bit odd..

John

It was pretty much a fresh install on fedora core 3 with x86.

I had just created my first hosting site, and needed to setup the first db, when it could not log in.

Remembering now, the root mysqlpassword, the da_admin password were all 41 bytes in user table, but the new user and dbuser were both 16 bytes.

So apparently when creating the mysql and da_admin it did work properly, and perhaps something or other might have interfered.

I cannot start from scratch again, so I will not be able to investigate further..

Anyway, perhaps it would be possible to make a script to perform the check when finishing install : 'select password('da_rulez');' and look at the result.

Back