help with dns and external email server

steeker_hosting

Verified User
domain: far-from-normal.com

I am having some trouble getting email for a specific domain from the server to the clients own email server. The problem is only email that starts from my server - webmail, sendmail etc. If I try and send an email to the client [email protected] from webmail it won't go through. The error is:
This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed

Can anyone help me out with this?

thanks

I believe you'll find it under something like "Add MX" or something like that.

You need to change the MX record to point to another server and set the server to NOT accept email for the domain.

Jeff

There is a MX record that points to the other server, because like I said it is only email that originates on the server itself that I am having problems with.

I can't find an option for do not accept email for the domain. Where can I find that?

Thanks.

Hey,

I think what you might be looking for is under the "MX Records" link in DA for that domain.

There is a "Local Mail Server" section that should help with what your asking.

David

I must be blind today. I can't find it.

Do I login as admin, reseller or the user? Can you give me a direct path there? Not sure why but it just isn't jumping out at me.

Thanks for the help

Admin>DNS Management
I think. From there, select the domain you need to manage, then at the bottom of the page is the add mx record box.

There already is an MX record for the domain. It is set to mail, then mail.far-from-normal.com has an A record pointing to the external IP. This setup works for mail not originating on the box. Do I need to do something different to get mail originating on the box out?

At the domain level, under E-Mail Management:

Click on "MX"

Then near the bottom, under "Local Mail Server" is the checkbox to uncheck if you don't want the local server to handle email for the domain.

Jeff

Back