Web Stats - AWSTATS

Again, another great suggestion, Awstats uses up a bit more CPU, but if it's an option to offer, that'd be great, or else if someone would make a how to, equally as good. Much more impressive than webalizer.

i might consider writing a howto if i get time later.... any volunteers to test :D

Hello,

I think I should add a basic feature that runs scripts that go with the base da functions... ie : user creation, domain creation ..etc... have it pass a PRE or POST value.. It will run them if they exist.. yadda yadda... should be an easy job.. can pass the variable through the environment. Sound good? (10 minute job :))

John

sounds perfect and would help with many things aswell as this (urchin automation being one ;) ).

Chris

What would you think would be more appropriate, to run them as root (most likely) or run them as the user in question...

John

Root would be far better and allow much more flexability in terms of usage. In terms of security i cant really see much of a problem as all files it would affect *should* be fully internal and not accessable by anyone but root.

Chris

Last edited:
Hello,

Just finished adding the scripts feature. It allows customized scripts to be run before/after user creation/removal and domain creation/removal. It should prove to be quite handy for people who want to add customized bells and whistles. If you guys want more scripts for other features, just let me know. Uses environmental variables to pass things around.

http://www.directadmin.com/features.php?id=183

John

The scripts are a great idea, but can we still get built in support for AWStats?

John

The destory scripts are something i didn't think about but are a gret idea! I know with ensim, when you create a site it adds the profiles to urchin, when you remove the account from ensim it doesnt affect urchin so the profile on urchin remains, causing your license profiles to be consumed when you dont need them!.

Also, not sure how this version works at the moment :p but would it be possible to have a file where users specify scripts to run, eg

custom (file)

contents:

/custom/scripts/urchin.sh
/custom/scripts/awstats.sh
/custom/scripts/another_script.sh

###

DA then runs all files listed in 'custom'

Also, how would the variables be used in a shell script? the only variable i think i would need for urchin is the domain name for the profile name and logging information. For AWStats (i have yet to look into this) i assume, again only the domain name would be used, mainly for paths and also for titles...

Chris

So how do you use this script to install awstats? And can it be done as a reseller?

To install awstats for 1 site i believe all you have to do is set the pahs and place it in the correct location.

For automation on all sites the files would need to copied to the appropriate location and settings modified accordingly.

Chris

For automation on all sites the files would need to copied to the appropriate location and settings modified accordingly.

Sorry to be such a newbie, but could you give me a little more info?

Where do you modify the settings?
And how would I get it (awstats) to show up in my users' control panels?

Thanks for the quick reply, btw.

I am assuming, as AWStats uses apache logs you would need to specify the path to the log files in the settings of AWStats. This would need to be modified when a ste is created for it to read the correct log files.

To copy the files over for all sites should be easy and be possible by using either the DA scripts (mentioned above) or a cron job which would rewrite each time and probably cuase more problems that its worth. As a first time i would use a wildcarded copy to get AWStats into all sites if you wanted that although you would then get the paths problem on all previous sites due to there being no variables used there.

For new sites it should be a faily easy job, if you have a busy server then you have a lasting job modifiying the settings of each copy
:D

Chris

Back