• Fedora Core 3

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Other

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters

tristan

Verified User
Hi there,

I have a question for you all, I have to setup a new machine next week, what so shall I install? I only have experience with SuSE and Debian and since they're both not supported I have to go with a new OS, Fedora Core 3 or Freebsd 5.3 (I won't setle for older versions since these are both stable versions). I'll base my choice only on maintanance time, so it has to be as secure and up to date as possible. In SuSE you have YOU (YaST Online Update) which updates all packages automatically to new patched (not new versions of) packages made by SuSE ideally it would have something similar to that.

Any opinions?

Fedora C3 is an EOL (End of the line) product, so I recommend not using it.

FreeBSD is one of the better distro's, but if you want to keep in the redhat scene use CentOS.

Debian is in a Beta stage. I have DirectAdmin up and running on Debian 3.0 right now. Installation is the hardest part. There are still a few bugs in DA itself but they'll get worked out soon with more feedback and use.

fusionictnl said:
Fedora C3 is an EOL (End of the line) product, so I recommend not using it.

FreeBSD is one of the better distro's, but if you want to keep in the redhat scene use CentOS.

What do you mean by this? I'm considering upgrading all my RH9 boxes to FC3 so this would interest me, thanks!!

An EOL (End of Line) product is only supported and upgrades made available for a certain amount of time. After that time is up, you must upgrade to a more recent version of the OS you are using. eg: Fedora Core 1 recently reached the End of its Life. Those users using Fedora Core 1 need to upgrade to at least Fedora Core 2 so they can keep getting upgrades for their operating system via yum or apt.

New Fedora Core releases are targeted every six months. Support generally lasts only another six months before being moved to another volunteer army which isn't large enough to keep it up as more and more core releases rely on it for support.

Fedora was not meant to be used in a webhosting environment.

RHEL was.

RHEL is expensive, but you can get an opensource compile of it at no charge at:

http://www.centos.org/

Jeff

Since fedora isnt really a proper OS and I like fbsd I voted FreeBSD, but you should use what you comfortable with, if its linux then get CENTOS which is pretty much the same as RHE.

Back