Votes: 3 17.6%
  • I'm running a RedHat/CentOS/WhiteBox based OS

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • I'm running a Debian based OS

Votes: 1 5.9%

• Total voters

digilexic

Verified User
Okay here is the problem...My apache server keeps slowing down until it eventually stops. Her is the last few lines of the log where it happened before...what the heck is www.snakeoil.dom? I have this error literally thousands of times...

[Sun Feb 13 04:02:09 2005] [warn] RSA server certificate CommonName (CN) `www.snakeoil.dom' does NOT match server name!?
[Sun Feb 13 04:02:09 2005] [warn] RSA server certificate CommonName (CN) `www.snakeoil.dom' does NOT match server name!?

This has nothing to do with apache shutting down... This is just from the sample ssl certificate that gets installed with apache. It uses www.snakeoil.dom as the common name, so if you hit the ssl port with a different host name, you'll get this error in the log. Generating an ssl certificate for that domain with the correct common name will cause these errors to go away.

Last edited:
Okay, but I still have a problem

Around midnight EVERY night, apache shuts down/locks up/whatever...if I go into SSH and issue a service httpd restart command, it comes right back up....whats the problem?

Re: Okay, but I still have a problem

digilexic said:
Around midnight EVERY night, apache shuts down/locks up/whatever...if I go into SSH and issue a service httpd restart command, it comes right back up....whats the problem?

mee too

Does it eventually come back online on it's own after awhile, or must you always restart it through the command line?

I get a suspicious feeling that since it's happening around midnight, it might be DA's tally and rotation of apache logs. Although when logs are rotated, it's supposed to be in a way which won't require apache to be shut down, but it might not be perfect yet, or a bug on your Operating system.

What OS and DA version are you running?

ClentOS 3.4
and lastest DA 1.23.4
w/ build apache 1.3.33

DA support doesnt even know whats going on , they log into my box 3 times now

I'm seeing the same thing, I think... see the thread about apache fatal error. I'm running Centos 3.3 but with apache 2.0.53.

What happens if you try to restart apache via the "Show Status of Services" link in DA? If this fails as well, see the trick about creating an httpd.real initscript. I'm not sure if my DA non daemon fix works for the shutdown that occurs for tallies.

If it's happening at midnight, it's DA restarting the service (which appears to happen at around 11 minutes after midnight on my box). If it's at 4:02 or whatever, that's cron and logrotate.

Anything else interesting in /var/log/httpd/error_log? When is the last SIGTERM or whatever?

Same here, but it doesnt happen all nights, just sometimes.

Is there a fix for this?

Problem occurs here too on freebsd 6.1. Apache never comes back on it's own. Always have to kill a pid and then i can restart. Suspecting it to have something to do with mod_perl. Will let you guys know when i find some more information.

Did Anyone ever solved this?
I'm getting that error about `www.snakeoil.dom' does NOT match server name!? too

You're getting the warning (it's not an error) because your serername doesn't match www.snakeoil.dom. You can't change your servername to www.snakeoil.dom, because if you do, no one will be able to log in.

The default certificate installed with Apache, is created for www.snakeoil.dom. The warnings aren't dangerous; they're just warnings that you're using the default cert. You can either create a self-signed cert or buy one.

Jeff

If you've reported the problem with apache shutting down, then please respond to the the poll I've just created at the top of this thread, so we can tell if there are similarities to explore.

Thanks!

Jeff

You're getting the warning (it's not an error) because your serername doesn't match www.snakeoil.dom. You can't change your servername to www.snakeoil.dom, because if you do, no one will be able to log in.

The default certificate installed with Apache, is created for www.snakeoil.dom. The warnings aren't dangerous; they're just warnings that you're using the default cert. You can either create a self-signed cert or buy one.

Jeff
Isn't there a 3rd option: deactivate it?

It's apache doing the install. My best guess is that apache won't start if there's not a cert. Otherwise I can't think of a single reason they'd go to the trouble of creating one.

You're welcome to try deactivating it, but don't be surprised if apache fails to start.

Jeff

I missed the system POLL.

I am using Apache Apache 2.0.55 Server with Fedora 4.

When I had more than 20 accounts on the server, the problem started to occur. Then I moved all accounts to a different server and left 3 accounts. The problem went away.

Now I had to move back to that server with 40 accounts and the problem occured the same day I did the restore.

I hope a problem is solved fast.

I think it has to do something with apache 2.0? If so I can downgrade.

Peace,

We've got hundreds of sites on some of our servers and we've got customers with thousands of sites. The only problem I see with Apache shutting down is when we get the semget error. Search these forums for fixing that.

Jeff

We've got hundreds of sites on some of our servers and we've got customers with thousands of sites. The only problem I see with Apache shutting down is when we get the semget error. Search these forums for fixing that.

Jeff

I tried the solution:

http://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=31

But it wouldn't work.

How can I make the server restart whenever it hits 00:00:00 time?

Which script do I edit?

Thanks,

Back