upload database

You can do it though phpMyAdmin as long as it's under 2mb.
Otherwise, it doesn't really matter where you upload it to, just remember the location when restoring through ssh.

http://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=10

Just remember that your account must have ssh enabled. If you can't get access and your database is over 2mb in size, you'll have to cut it up into smaller pieces and do it through phpMyAdmin. Or search the forums, I think there was a utility that would do this for you.

Your ssh might be set up to not allow root login.

Can you log in as admin and then su to root?

Jeff

I've tried logging in several different ways - with my site user/password, "admin" user/site password, "root"/site password, & all of these w/ a blank password. What is suppose to work?

Last edited:
Other than making 100% sure that the username and password you are using is correct and that ssh is really enabled for the account your trying to login as, I can't really suggest anything else.

Personally, with the information provided, I would move on to checking the sshd configurations for any errors that might be there, specifically in the authentication section.

pitangel said:
Hello? I really could use some help - thanks!
Are you a site owner with a site on a DirectAdmin server, are you a reseller of hosting sites on a DirectAdmin server, or are you an administrator of a DirectAdmin server?

Logging in as admin certainly won't work unless you happen to be the administrator of your own DirectAdmin server.

Unless you have your own DirectAdmin server, you'll need to ask your hosting provider.

Jeff

I am a site owner - what do I ask my hoster for? Is it different than my regular login/password?

You can't get ssh access unless your hosting provider gives it to you.

If your backup is too big for you to restore through phpMyAdmin, then you'll need to get your provider involved in helping you.

Jeff

I have ssh enabled. I'm not sure what you mean by backup - this database has never been uploaded anywhere. What login & password should I be using?

If you post the output of these commands we may be able to help you:

grep "PermitRootLogin" /etc/ssh/sshd_config
grep "AllowUsers" /etc/ssh/sshd_config
grep admin /etc/passwd

Note that the /etc/passwd file does NOT have any passwords in it; posting the above greps will not create a security risk.

Jeff

I'm sorry, but I have no idea what you're asking me to do - I'm not that familiar with linux, ssh, mysql, etc. My goal is to get a 3MB database onto my site some how so users my query it.

It's a bit beyond the scope of this forum to teach linux administration.

You should ask your provider for help.

:(

Jeff

Could you please just tell me what user name & password I should be using with ssh?

If you're a site owner then you log in through ssh using the same username and password as you use for ftp.

Jeff

I'm back with my:

Ask your hosting provider to do it for you

response.

Jeff

Back