HOWTO: resolving IP addresses in webalizer (fedora)

robin

Verified User
If webalizer don't resolve IP addresses:

Check if Berkeley DB version 1.85 is installed:

Code:
rpm -q db1

If it isn't, install Berkeley DB 1.85 ( download here) and compile it with '--with-uniquename' if you use multiple versions of Berkeley DB.

I've downloaded an old RPM for RedHat 7.3 and installed it with 'rpm -ivh' on a Fedora Core 2 system with DA without any problems. ( download here)

If you have succesfully installed DB 1.85 you will have to edit /etc/ld.so.conf and add the following line in it: /usr/include/

- Save it and run:
Code:
ldconfig -v.

- Recompile webalizer now with the '--enable-dns' option.
(customapache buildscript uses the '--enable-dns' options also but when DA installs webalizer the DNS options will be automatically disabled during compiling because the DB 1.85 library's weren't found on your system.

- untar /usr/local/directadmin/customapache/webalizer-2.01-10-src.tgz' to some directory, and compile it with --enable-dns:

Code:
./configure --prefix=/usr --with-png=/usr/local/lib --with-gdlib=/usr/local/lib 
--with-gd=/usr/local/include --enable-dns --with-db --with-dblib
if you want to compile webalizer with a different language use the '--with-language='option also.

- Now add the following lines to your webalizer.conf in: /usr/local/directadmin/data/templates/custom/webalizer.conf

DNSCache /var/lib/webalizer/dns_cache.db
DNSChildren 10

Make sure the dns_cache.db file exists on your system otherwise make an empty file with touch.

- Run the tally to update webalizer:

Code:
echo 'action=tally&value=all' >> /usr/local/directadmin/data/task.queue

and look at your webalizer stats after a while :)

This tutorials works for me on a Fedora Core 2 system without any problems. Use this tutorial on your own risk.
Let me know what you think about this tutorial.

Last edited:
Back