Assign IP address to NameServer?

Arkansas

Verified User
1) How are the IP addresses assigned to a NameServer in DA (I have 4 that are not used)? Under Admin > DNS Admin, I see two name servers listed (ns1.myname.com, ns2.myname.com) but am not sure where the IP addresses are assigned to them. The SiteHelper docs show how to add the name of a name server but not how to assign IP addresses to them (at least I could not find it in the docs).

2) On a side note, under Admin Panel > DNS Admin, it says “Select the DNS record to edit”. It then lists domain names, then below that it has ‘Add Zone’ and has fields for Domain Name, IP Address, NS 1 and NS2. What is the ‘Add Zone’ for? I did not see it mentioned in SiteHelper docs.

THANKS

1) im taking a guess that nameservers are done by adding A records on the domain.... you just change the IP on the record, although im not sure on this one.... (again, still have no DA to test :( )

I'm sure it is probably something simple. But after reading the docs, I don't see the answer. And as a newbie, I didn't want to mess around too much with the IP settings. I'll just wait until DA replies or someone that uses it replies. Thanks.

Hello,

Nameservers are dealt with at the Reseller level. Reseller Panel -> Nameserver -> select the ips you want to use, and the domain and click create.

John

Thanks John.

I clicked on SAVE instead of CREATE there. My Bad. :rolleyes: I now have nameservers with IP addressess.

Follow up question to this thread though...

So, say you have a hosting company with more then one server. The hosting company is on box 1 and there is at least a second server (if not more) that houses just clients.

When you go to select a domain to make into name servers, it only displays domain accounts on that server. So if your hosting company site is not hosted on that same server... how do you specify a name server name to that is based off your hosting company domain?

Is it required to do this at the DA level?

Will it work to bind the ip's to the dns name at something like ENOM and then in DA simply list the nameserver names at the bottom of the dns page for all client sites to use?

you would have to have an external DNS server... you would have to add records manually for every site you create although NS1.Domain.com and NS2.Domain.com will work for all your servers instaed of having a new set of nameservers for each server.

Hmm... so whats the solution then if you don't want to use an external DNS server and don't want to create the records manually for EVERY domain?

Do you simply put up a dummy account on every server of yourhostingcompany.com and then make the dns map at the reseller level??

if you dont want an external DNS server, you have a new set of nameservers for each server you own, and keep track of which server clients are on by having a unique hostname for each server.

Chris

Right... I got that each box would need its own group of IP's and name servers names.

but if I want all the dns servers to be ns1a, ns1b (server 1) ns2a, ns2b (server 2), ns3a, ns3b (server 3) etc etc

And I want the NAME of the name server to be nsXa.myhostingcompany.com and nsXb.myhostingcompany.com (where X is the server number) do I simply create a bogus client for myhostingcompany.com on each server so that I can identify it as the name server in the reseller CP?

go to your domain registar, add host records for the following:

nsXa.nameserver.com > IP
nsXb.nameserver.com > IP2

then add the A records for nsXa/b.nameserver.com in DA.

that should be about it :)

Chris

Hehe... ;) Back again.

Thanks very much for your reply.

Quick question about your last post.

So, I have gone to my registrar (enom) and have registered the DNS for all my name servers and their IP's.

Now, when you say to create the A records in DA, are you talking about logging into the Reseller CP, and then into the UserCP and going into DNS settings?

Then adding the nsXa.myhostingcompany.com --> 111.111.11.11 as an A record?

And this will allow all my customers on this server to use the correct name servers? And there needs to be a period following the .com right? So when entering the name of the name server on the left, its nsXa.myhostingcompany.com. ?

Also, I can't help but notice that directly below the A is a NS. Just wanted to clarify that an A record needs to be created in the UserCP under Reseller CP and not a NS record.

Sorry if I am making way more of this then need be... but this aspect is SOOO different then any other CP i have used... just want to make sure i have it setup right. :)

I am reading this now..

http://admin.site-helper.com/dnsadmin.html

But this is at the Admin Panel level, and I had made this modification at the Reseller CP --> UserCP --> DNS Administration

So if i want this to be global for everyone on the box it should be done at the AdminCP level? Or will binding the A record in the CP --> UserCP level have the same effect?

Last edited:
If your using the same IPs as your primary nameservers you wont really need the DNS zones, although it IS A record you need to add and not a NS record. I believe the remainder of your message is correct :)

Chris

Back