need help with setting up server

musahsio

Verified User
Hi
My server has been ordered 10 days ago and is still not up.
after following: http://www.directadmin.com/newinstall.html
I then go to godaddy to setup the name servers.
I have emailed layeredtech countless times, but didn't get any useful information on what to do now. All they did was do something to the rDNS. That was more than 4 days ago.
I am pretty sure that I got the godaddy nameservers correct because I set that up for my old server and it worked. Also the instructions in the directadmin newinstall was pretty short and easy to understand so I am sure theres no problems there also, what else am I missing?

Thanks

You really haven't given us enough information to go on.

Is the server itself running? If not, you'd have to ask the company you ordered it from.

If so, but DNS isn't working for it at the very least you'll have to tell us the domain name so we can check the DNS for you.

Jeff

It looks as if you have not set your ns1 and ns2 bkdom.com at your registrar, these must correspond with the nameserver IPs you have setup in Directadmin. That is your first step.

I have already set the name servers in godaddy correctly. Have also done what the directadmin startup faq says.
My server provider just answered saying I need to set up the BIND zone file. do you guys have any idea how to do this?

Thanks

The root servers think your nameservers are at:

and

But there are no servers running on those IP#s.

Either your nameserver isn't running or your IP#s are wrong.

If you know a bit about Linux/Unix systems administration then you can probably ssh into your server as root and figure out if the server is running or if your IP#s are wrong.

If not, then you need administrations help from someone.

Jeff

Well the server is definately running since I can log into it through direct admin. I saw from a different post that we were supposed to put the server ip and the next available free ip as the ns. Well what I did before was make the 2 next free ips as the ns. I changed it now so that the first ns is using the server ip. Do you think that this will correct the issue?

I have absolutely no idea on how to log in ssh.

Thanks

Back