PhpMyAdmin from DA

wdatkinson

Verified User
I've STF'd and for once I can't find an answer to my problem.

I'm logged in under a reseller account and I was just trying to run the phpmyadmin from the link on the database page.

When the logon prompt appears, I tried using the same account that I used to log into DA (the reseller account). I even tried the DA Admin account. Nothing will authenticate PHPMyAdmin.

I would expect that a each user, regardless of admin, reseller, user, would be able to launch phpmyadmin against any database under that persons account.

Well no :p

Why should every user have the ability to login ?? Do you want that ?? I don't think most of us (server admins) would like that.

Users who CAN create databases under their account can add users for that database. That's why you can't login with you username.

There are a lot of othere things what you can think of why you don't want this. But your sysop can just add an account (same name) as you CP account to the database.

I just expected that a user would be able to run phpmyadmin against any databases that he/she was responsible for.

Since this is the way it is, I'll just add an account to the databases and go that route.

Thanks.

wdatkinson said:
I just expected that a user would be able to run phpmyadmin against any databases that he/she was responsible for.

It doesn't work like cpanel where you can add multiple databases to one account instead of creating a new user/password for each one, or having to manually assign the database(s) to an account.
This has been put in as a feature request in another thread (don't have a link for it though)

Although I think that the username/password used for DirectAdmin can be used in phpMyAdmin to access all databases belonging to that user. At least that is how it's working on my server.

Your last paragraph is exactly how I expect it to work as well. However, its not.

My webhosting business is run from a reseller account and under that reseller account I have 2-3 mysql databases. I expected to be able to log in as that reseller, hit phpmyadmin and have access to all the databases under that one user.

However, nothing I try will authenticate to the pop window.

Interesting.....

You can probably request your hosting provider to create it for you if you don't have access.

I am the hosting provider!!! ;)

Obviously I can add a user to the DB that matches the DA control panel logon, but I'd have to do that for each DB as its created, correct?

I'm seeing some weirdness with this as well... If I log in as a normal database user FIRST, and then log out, I can then log in with a DA account and see all the databases for that user.

However, if I go right to phpmyadmin and try to log in as a DA user, the authentication fails. Likewise, after I login successfully as a DA user, after I click "exit" and am presented with the authentication dialog, I am again unable to authenticate as the DA user.

You might try logging in as a DB user, then exit and try to login as the DA user.

Well, that was weird... It looks like phpmyadmin keeps an "old_usr" flag to keep you from re-logging in as the same user you were just logged in as... This was screwing up some things in my tests. :)

In any case, I used the config.inc.php included with 2.6.1-pl2 instead of the one DA uses... there's a couple of changes in the newer file but nothing that looks like it should break the authentication. However, everything is working as expected at this point. Not sure if it was the config.inc.php or the old_usr flag or what.

You might want to look at your mysql privileges for the DA user you're trying to log in as and make sure they have privileges for a database, etc.

Yeah, the way I view this whole scenario is that if you have a DA user, who creates a database for whatever reason, that DA user would automaticallly have access to said database.

This whole thing came about while I was trying to test a web-based support package. I found a bug, that is fixed in a future release, but I wanted to poke around in the database and see if I could fix it myself.

I could always go into the mysql control and add a user (making it the same as the da user, if I want) and give that account access to the DB, but again, its just something I expected to be there by default.

Yes, what you describe should be the default behavior (and is the behavior on my and jmstacey's boxes, apparently).

Can you login as the da_admin user via phpymyadmin? If so, you'll have the privileges tab there where you can see the actual privileges for the users. All the databases owned by "admin", for example, are listed in the Database-specific privileges as "admin\_db1" with all privileges on the database. Logging in to phpmyadmin as the "admin" user allows me to see all of the admin_* databases.

I can't recall the syntax, but if you can't log in to phpmyadmin as a privileged user, you can use the command line to show the prvileges for given users... You might check that as well.

Back