Question about DA box to DA box backup

ProWebSpace

Verified User
Hey,

Just a quick question to see if there's any feature in the pipeline that would allow an entire server to be backed up to another server. Would be nice and make life a lot easier :)

Keep up the outstanding work :cool:

Scott,
ProWebSpace.com

An account transfer utility is in the works, but not something that will clone an entire server.. most people can't afford to have a second box sitting just for backup purposes. :D But yes, something to move accounts to other machines is coming.

Mark

Hey,

Sounds interesting, would it be possible to pick all accounts from the admin panel for example and back them up either to another server or another hard drive ? The reason I ask is that my idea is to have a DNS control on all the domains, so if something nasty happens to the main drive / server a simple switch of the DNS and everyone's back pointing to the other drive / server whilst we slap in another hard drive :)

Scott,
ProWebSpace.com

we are just using one 80GB HD

splitting it into 2 partions

using the main partion as the normal space for customers directadmin etc and using partion 2 for backups.

40GB is more than enough to satisfy 700GBs of bandwidth so the other 40GB may aswell be used for something else :)

Chris

That brings me to my next question,

How easy would it be to transfer all sites with their content, settings etc) to the backup partion of the hard drive?

Chris

Hey Chris,

>40GB is more than enough to satisfy 700GBs of bandwidth so the other 40GB may aswell be used for something else

Wow, we have 120gb's drive (not spilt) running at 80%ish doing under 200gb's per month lol - shall we load balance ;) lol

Scott,
ProWebSpace.com

heh you obviously host lots of sites that just require storage ;)

We try to limit our servers to a reasonable amount of sites to keep load averages to the best possible.

In shell "uptime" i have yet to see a load average rising above 0.10

the highest in shell that i personally have seen so far is 0.08 here is one of our newer servers that i have just done "uptime" for

1:02pm up 42 days, 14 min, 1 user, load average: 0.03, 0.02, 0.00

^ not to bad eh ;)

Chris

Hey,

We have a few art businesses that just load a box with flash, jpgs etc etc, the server with the very most on only has 2 sites lol (dedicated customer) mad eh lol.

Re load, you noticed the difference with load on DA compared to CPanel (I had to keep checking the server was up lol) :)

Scott,
ProWebSpace

ProWebSpace said:
Hey,

We have a few art businesses that just load a box with flash, jpgs etc etc, the server with the very most on only has 2 sites lol (dedicated customer) mad eh lol.

:eek: max 2 sites on any of your servers?

Hey,

>max 2 sites on any of your servers?

raflmao - nah, it's a dedicated server customer, they pay for the entire server and do what they want - as you can see, pretty large sites lol. Imagine 2 sites per box on shared hosting lol, how to go bankrupt quick eh lol. We don't overload, but just 2 is a little extreme lol :p

Scott,
ProWebSpace.com

ProWebSpace said:
2 sites per box on shared hosting lol, how to go bankrupt quick eh lol.

thats exactly what i was thinking :p thought you were a really weird host or something for a minute ;)

ProWebSpace said:
a dedicated server customer, they pay for the entire server and do what they want

So you have a customer with a dedicated server from you thats only hosting 2 sites? are they millionaires or something :p (either that or the art biz is doing well ;) )

ProWebSpace said:
2 is a little extreme lol :p

Couldn't agree more :)

I wrote down some of the things you guys have mentioned above. When we can give the account transfer utility our undivided attention, we can work on integrating some of those features.

The idea of backing up everything to a second HD is a good one. Hopefully we will will have the option of backing up to an external server and/or second HD.

The ability to select individual accounts to backup will be there for sure.

Mark

Hey,

>thought you were a really weird host or something for a minute

Just cus we don't have a 2 sites per server limit, doesn't mean we ain't weird lol ;)

>The ability to select individual accounts to backup will be there for sure.

Sounds great, but please don't do what cpanel did and make it so you have to check tick every single account, not fun when transferring a dedicated to another dedicated when the customers put 100's of sites on, your left click fingure gets trashed lol ;) honestly, who in cpanel did that option lol :rolleyes:

Scott,
ProWebSpace.com

ProWebSpace said:
Just cus we don't have a 2 sites per server limit, doesn't mean we ain't weird lol ;)

OK, your still weird ;)

ProWebSpace said:

Sounds great, but please don't do what cpanel did and make it so you have to check tick every single account, not fun when transferring a dedicated to another dedicated when the customers put 100's of sites on, your left click fingure gets trashed lol ;) honestly, who in cpanel did that option lol :rolleyes:

a little hacking does a lot less harm to your left finger.

Now, we have all seen hotmails delete feature.

.......................................................................Select all | |x|
[email protected] || the hottest babes!!!! || 01/01/2002 | |x|
[email protected] || This is junk email!!!!!! || 01/01/2002 | |x|
[email protected] || even more spam!!!!!!! || 01/01/2002 | |x|

That select all button should not be to hard atall :) well, its either a bit of coding (wearing away your mind) or a bit of clicking your left mouse button (wearing away your finger ;) )

Chris

Last edited:
Once you have added everything on your todo list will you be releasing it as a beta or testing internally then releasing as a stable version?

Chris

Most things on the todo list won't need beta testing. We'll add one feature at a time, test it, release it as a minor upgrade (e.g. 1.07 to 1.08). This way customers get features ASAP instead of waiting for us to finish an entire collection of them.

Bigger things, like new OS ports will of course require some testing first.

Mark

Mark wrote:
DirectAdmin Sales said:
most people can't afford to have a second box sitting just for backup purposes.
I disagree, Mark.

If we're seriously in the webhosting business we can't afford to not have a second box sitting around for backup purposes.

In fact, we've got almost 50 servers (mostly Sun Cobalt RaQs) in two cabinets in colocation at Level3, and we have several machines available all the time.

And I've always got a Cobalt RaQ and a few generic boxes sitting right next to my desk, where I can try things, and even have some static IP#s here so I can rush a system on line in an emergency.

If you're seriously hosting, then imho you should probably do the same.

Jeff

Back