anonymous FTP

wheimeng

Verified User
Hi there,

I have a client that would like to have anonymous FTP for his account. However, after granted him anonymous FTP access, he could only do it with "[email protected]"

Is there any way to have "anonymous" login instead of "[email protected]?

Thanks for your input in advance.

Hello,

Because of name based hosting, the only way to have "anonymous" would be to assign that user exclusive access to that IP (let him *own* the ip). Then DirectAdmin can setup FTP with "anonymous". The problem with a shared IP is that many domains use the same IP and ftp doesn't support the "Host" header to specify a specific domain like in http, so there is no way to figure out what domain a user wants if the IP is shared and they all use the same login name.

John

How could I assign dedicated IP to a shared hosting client? I am only able to assign it to a reseller.

Is there any way to assign it to a shared hosting?

The user editor includes the option to move the user to an IP allocated to the user's reseller.

Hello,

I think the best way to do it (to avoid confusion) is to login as the Reseller before changing the User's IP, because it will only show the IP's that the logged in Reseller(Admin) has.. so you'll only see the Admin's IP's, and not the Reseller's IP's, which is who you want to take the IP from. (confused? :), just follow these steps).

1) make sure the Reseller has 1 free IP ready to be assigned to the User (Admin Panel -> IP Manager -> check the "Status" column)

2) Log in as that Reseller
username: admin|reseller
password: adminpass

3) Change the User's IP: Reseller Panel -> Show/Modify Users -> Click that User's name -> click "Modiy User username" -> use the "Set IP to" dropdown to select a non-shared IP and click save.

John

Ah, didn't check for that alternative. Too used to cPanel though.

BTW, is there any chances that I downgrade a reseller access to a normal shared hosting account?

And Direct Admin works! :) Very stable and less CPU usage. Love it so much.

Hello,

Downgrading can be done if you have root access.

Edit:
/usr/local/directadmin/data/users/resellername/user.conf

and change

usertype=reseller
to
usertype=user

Note that this doesn't work for upgrading :)

John

Back