Please review what I did

blazingbiz

Verified User
I just got my first dedicated server yesterday and started reading the docs and admin help pages. Today I set up my DNS settings after registering my domain. I would greatly appreciate any of the more experienced users to review what I did below and offer me any advice or an experienced summary of what I did because I'm unsure about what I'm doing.

Using DA v1.23.4 on a CentOS server

I have this set up in my admin on my server through the DA control -

default domain set up as user - web-host-site.com

my server is named server.blazingbiz.com

My server IP is 206.51.236.72

I have six IPs up to 206.51.236.77

I'm using .73 and .74 for ns1.web-host-site.com and ns2.web-host-site.com respectively

All of my other Cnames and A names point to 206.51.236.72

ftp A 206.51.236.72
localhost A 127.0.0.1
mail A 206.51.236.72
ns1.web-host-site.com. A 206.51.236.73
ns2.web-host-site.com. A 206.51.236.74
pop A 206.51.236.72
web-host-site.com. A 206.51.236.72
www A 206.51.236.72
web-host-site.com. NS ns1.web-host-site.com.
web-host-site.com. NS ns2.web-host-site.com.
imap MX 10
mail MX 10
pop MX 10
smtp MX 0
imap CNAME web-host-site.com.
mobilemail CNAME web-host-site.com.
smtp CNAME web-host-site.com.
webmail CNAME web-host-site.com.

Some of these I copied from my registrar which is updaddy.com, they had all the webmail and mobilemail sub names there so I just copied what they did and made the records in my registery panel at updaddy.com mirror what's in my DNS Admin - so they both are identical to what's above

My questions -

What did I just do and is it right or do I need to fix anything?

What are TTL TXT Record and SPF Record?

With these special features like mobilemail, smtp, webmail as subnames - how do I map these to special features on my server, what good are they to have for?

Thanks in advance,

Rafael

Update to what I just wrote

When I went to my updaddy.com panel to update my nameservers I got this error message -

# Unavailable error in field Host name1
# Unavailable error in field Host name2

I put in ns1.web-host-site.com and ns2.web-host-site.com in the appropriate fields.

I was wondering, when my server was set up it had the default name server.blazingbiz.com and the nameservers were ns1.blazingbiz.com and ns2.blazingbiz.com, would these nameservers work if that domain is not registered with a registrar?

I didn't think they would, so I registered web-host-site.com and set that up as a user domain on my server and set it as the default site with the idea that my server should have that site be the main one on it, and all other sites I put on that server will be hosted through my web-host-site.com domain

I'm I doing this right? Any suggestions?

Another update

I typed in http://www.web-host-site.com/

and I got the DA message about uploading my pages so I guess I did the main thing right

But why is that? Why do I get the error message from updaddy and the site still resolves correctly? Do I need to fix anything with my settings? The reason that this is very important is that I have other domains and clients with domains that I could move over to dedicated servers so if I just can get this down right I can be in a good business position saving money on hosting and services.

When adding nameservers to registrar set 2 glue records, since until your nameserver is running nothing is resolving 'ns1.web-host-site.com' and 'ns2.web-host-site.com' , the glue records allow the registrar to connect to the nameserver and as such you can add the nameservers.

TXT Records the only thing I have used for so far is the SPF record.

SPF is something used to help combat spam it authorise's only certian hosts to send email from that domain.

DA sets up the local nameserver stuff automatically so once you have the registrar setup the rest should fall into place.

You need to register your nameservers with your registrar. Contact them for help on how to do it through thier interface.

Kind Regards,
Onno Vrijburg

Follow up question

Thanks for the help.

I went to my registrar and submitted an email to support, but I'm unclear what happened here.

I used the feature call domain total control to create A records for my domain and nameserver subdomain of ns1 and ns2 to point to there ip address on my dedicated server.

But when I change the nameservers for that same domain to the ns1 and ns2 subdomains I get an error saying that those nameservers are unavailable to be connected to.

Since this is a web hosting site, I need to have the nameservers working so I can give them to my clients to point their domain names to. What am I missing?

Rafael

thanks, I solved the issue

Hi,

I found the control panel that let's me register my nameservers, the DNS control panel - now that I did that I registered the nameservers and changed the nameservers to them and got no error messages. Horray!

Now I got through setting up the SPR Text record and it is really essential it prevents spoofing of your domain, but now that I switched the nameserver away from the registrar's parked one, those features seem to be gone.

How do I set up these text records on my server to use this feature to prevent spoofing.

Re: thanks, I solved the issue

blazingbiz said:
Now I got through setting up the SPR Text record and it is really essential it prevents spoofing of your domain, but now that I switched the nameserver away from the registrar's parked one, those features seem to be gone.

How do I set up these text records on my server to use this feature to prevent spoofing.

This is done automatically by DA but is not displayed in the DNS editing forms. Take a look at a zone file in /var/named and you'll see the SPF1 (TXT) record at the end of the file.

Regards,
Onno

Thanks for the support - All solved

Thanks for the support, hope others can read this post and learn just as I did.

Issue resolved.

Rafael

Back