Name Server Question

Andrax

Verified User
Ok... this is probably going to sound a little strange, so try to bare with me.

Here is the situation. I would like to have two different sets of name servers. One set just for my site (on one box) and one for my clients (on another box).

Now, the IP's have been bound to the box that will house customer sites, they appear in the reseller cp just fine. But, because the company (Hosting) site is not hosted on the same box, then the hostingcompany.com name does not appear in the pulldown (in the middle box on the DNS page of the reseller CP).

So, my question is how do I make this work right?

At the moment, I have filled in the blanks at the bottom where it says:
"Specify the name servers that will be assigned to new users"

I filled those fields in with ns1a.myhostingcompany.com and ns1b.myhostingcompany.com

But then, even if this works... how do I know that the right IP's will be assigned, and how do you know which IP's will be included in the Welcome Email sent by DA???

If someone could explain this step by step that would be much appreciated.

Would i need to create a dummy acct on each client server of myhostingcompany.com on it to assign the IP's properly for name servers??

*ponders*

That might make sense....

Andrax said:
Here is the situation. I would like to have two different sets of name servers. One set just for my site (on one box) and one for my clients (on another box).
I won't bother to ask why, but I will point out that you'd be much better off, from the point of view of having redundancy, if you had one server be the master nameserver and another the slave nameserver for all domains. That way if one of your boxes were to fail, DNS wouldn't fail, and that's a good thing :) .

You can do it because you can use the same IP#s over and over again for multiple nameserver names.

So if you wanted ns1.example.com and ns2.example.com for your domain, and ns1.example.net and ns2.example.net for your clients domains, you could just assign (at your registry) the main IP# for one machine to both ns1.example.com and ns1.example.net, and the main IP# for the other machine to ns2.example.com and ns2.example.net.

However, that said, here's how to do what you want to do:
Now, the IP's have been bound to the box that will house customer sites, they appear in the reseller cp just fine. But, because the company (Hosting) site is not hosted on the same box, then the hostingcompany.com name does not appear in the pulldown (in the middle box on the DNS page of the reseller CP).
I'm still trying to understand you, but I'm guessing from the direction this post is taking that you want to use your domain (for example, example.com)'s nameservers, and example.com isn't hosted on the same box. Correct?
So, my question is how do I make this work right?
If that's what you want, then you'll be using the actual nameserver running on the server hosting the domains for all your customer domains, but you want to refer to it with the domain name that you're hosting on another server. That's not a problem.
At the moment, I have filled in the blanks at the bottom where it says:
"Specify the name servers that will be assigned to new users"

I filled those fields in with ns1a.myhostingcompany.com and ns1b.myhostingcompany.com
Have you registered the new nameserver names (i.e., ns1a and ns1b) with your registry?

If so, have you registered them with the IP#s on the server you're going to use to host the domains?
But then, even if this works... how do I know that the right IP's will be assigned
The IP#s should come from the registry. I use an external nameserver as ns2 with no reference to the nameserver's IP# anywhere on my DirectAdmin box.
and how do you know which IP's will be included in the Welcome Email sent by DA???
DA gets the IP#s by doing a DNS lookup. If you've registered the nameservers and set up dns for them in their zone file you're all set.

If you don't believe me, try ns1.earthlink.net and ns2.earthlink.net, and set up a test account. You'll see that DA sends an email with the Earthlink nameservers and their IP#s. Don't forget to change them back, though.
If someone could explain this step by step that would be much appreciated.
I hope I just did. If you've got any more questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Jeff

Ah hah, so if I go into Enom for example (which is where I do all my domains (company and customer)). And register the DNS names and IP's that I want to use for my customers, and then plug in:

ns1a.mycompany.com &
ns1b.mycompany.com

as the listed dns servers to use for clients, it will auto detect the IP and send the right one in the email?

Thats outstanding...

I do have another question, slightly different topic though... I have created two "dummy" accounts to test, and they appear to get created just fine, but after almost an hour I am still without a welcome email. Any thoughts?

Thank you very much btw Jeff...

I appreciate you taking the time to write out such a thoughtful reply.

You're very welcome, Andrax.

Presuming you had the box checked for sending the email, then it's simply where did the email go.

Is the email address you used at an already established domain or a new one you've just set up?

if it's on a new one you've just set up, then is the domain already registered, is there dns set up for it on an already working nameserver? And is the dns pointing to a working server?

The mistake most people make that keeps them from getting the email is to use the new domain for the email, before DNS has propagated.

Jeff

Back