DNS - Nameserver issues

MrEnigma

Verified User
Well, I'm somewhat in over my head.

I am moving from a virtual hosting solution, to a dedicated server on 15minutesservers.com

So I'm moving my domain ericbyers.com, and have setup the nameservers as
jake.ericbyers.com (66.246.230.142)and elwood.ericbyers.com (66.246.230.143) in DiectAdmin.

I have also created this at the registrar, and have manually entered these ip's in, creating the "glue" record.

The only thing I can think of why this doesn't work...is that DirectAdmin doesn't actually run bind or an alternative dns software..to actually have the nameservers.

Anyhow, just looking for some help here.

Thanks!

grr

Well, since it wasn't working...I've switched the domain back to the old ones...

I think DNS must be messed up in directadmin, there is an ip that is shown as being given to my reseller account...with 4 domains on it...and no such thing exists under the reseller either...

Thousands of hosted domains believe DA's DNS works properly.

DirectAdmin checks to make sure BIND (the Berkely Internet Name Deamon) is installed, and even starts it and tests it to make sure it's started. If it stops running it sends you a message.

When you set up a domain DA will even setup DNS for you.

And in fact, it is working, properly, using both jake.ericbyers.com and elwood.ericbyers.com as nameservers; see DNS Report.

My guess is you didn't wait long enough for propagation. If you've changed it back, then it'll take some time for that to "take" as well.

Jeff

jlasman said:
Thousands of hosted domains believe DA's DNS works properly.

DirectAdmin checks to make sure BIND (the Berkely Internet Name Deamon) is installed, and even starts it and tests it to make sure it's started. If it stops running it sends you a message.

When you set up a domain DA will even setup DNS for you.

And in fact, it is working, properly, using both jake.ericbyers.com and elwood.ericbyers.com as nameservers; see DNS Report.

My guess is you didn't wait long enough for propagation. If you've changed it back, then it'll take some time for that to "take" as well.

Jeff

Well I know it takes time...and I gave it awhile. They resolved for me..and the domains still didn't work...weren't even pingable.

They work for me, and they're pointing exactly as you say you did it. Did you look at the DNS report?

It shows the nameservers you say you've since moved away from.

DNS can take up to 72 hours if you're changing nameserver assignments.

Jeff

jlasman said:
They work for me, and they're pointing exactly as you say you did it. Did you look at the DNS report?

It shows the nameservers you say you've since moved away from.

DNS can take up to 72 hours if you're changing nameserver assignments.

Jeff

ok, I guess I wasn't waiting long enough...

meanwhile I dumped all my DA settings, so I'll have to re-add all that stuff to test it again.

Thanks.

I guess what I don't get is...

When I pinged them here, jake.ericbyers.com and elwood.ericbyers.com would show up as the correct ip, and my domain wouldn't resolve at all. It just seems that if I can see them with the right IP, they should be pointing the domain to the correct place....and the domain shouldn't have a period where it is just down and not working I wouldn't think...it would either be the old..or the new.

Perhaps your local browser was caching incorrect information?

Jeff

Back