Name servers

Zyrohost

Verified User
Hello I am new to the whole server game. My unit has just came online and i am stuck. I have my ip block and all but dont know how to setup name servers. If i go to my registrar where do i point my name servers too? I have two of my own private dns there allready.
I have heard that i need to take the shared Ip of the server and use it as NS1.domain.com and ns2.domain.com would be the next available loop IP is this the case? I cant seem to get my domain to resolve to that server. the name servers they gave me will not go in at my registrar. it will not accept them. Do i need to register the default name servers at registrar first?
Basically i need to start from scratch. can anyone help? thanks in advance. :confused:

Give this a whirl:
http://www.directadmin.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=130

I'll just add that once you have the nameservers setup on your server correctly, you will also need to register them as nameservers with your registrar. This method varies from registrar to registrar so I can't give you specific instructions.

Basically, you will just regurgitate(sp) the nameserver domains and corresponding IP address' that you used on your server.

Last edited:
DNS

Well chief thanks for the reply. I guess I am just to new at this to try it..lol I cant get anything to resolve to anything. I actually need to have a step by step starting from scratch then right up to the point of going and taking care of business at the domain registrar. :(

This is not a How-To guide, so I've moved the thread.

If you can't follow the instructions DA publishes, and can't get up to speed on nameservers and DNS in general from either Googling web resources or buying "DNS for Dummies" or some other DNS book, then you might want to hire an administrator to walk you through the whole thing.

Jeff

Back