Moving to another server? Cause downtime?

CoreHost.co.uk

Verified User
I have a client who can not afford any downtime (its a law thing)... this client is on another server which is a cPanel server and i need it moving to my server (ns.corehost.co.uk) which is a DA admin one.... if i setup the account before i move it and then just change the DNS will it cause any downtime?

? Thanks a lot...

Duran Ross

to move a site from 1 server to another with NO downtime at all you need to have the site working on BOTH servers, it has to be setup on directadmin as if it were the actual site and all dns was resolving, basically, if the DNS WAS resolving you would have the normal site!

once you have the exact site working on the new server, you can then just swap the DNS over to the new server, it will then switch from the old server to the new server.

When people try to connect during the DNS propagation, they either recieve the old servers content, or the new servers content - therefore no downtime.

MAKE SURE YOU LEAVE THE COPY ON THE OLD SERVER UNTIL THE DNS HAS PROPAGATED 100%, FAILURE TO DO THIS WILL RESULT IN POSSIBLE DOWNTIME!

Back