Pureftpd?

wheimeng

Verified User
Hi there,

I would like to know if it is possible to switch to pureftp from proftpd while it compatible with DA?

Proftpd seems to eat up a lot of resources since we have a lot of FTP activities on our server, just trying to switch to less intensive FTP daemon.

Any comments?

think DA may get more than a little agressive about things...

I would probably setup both, change the port proftpd runs on to something else, install pureftpd in a seperate location away from any standard locations and manually setup accounts... by replacing proftpd with another daemon you would probably cause much more hassle than its worth......

If you know linux well, aswell as your ftp daemons, you could try playing around trying to make all the directory structure of the configs identical to proftpd, you would also need to make sure pureftpd reads the same config files (format) as proftpd to even consider automating it :)

Chris

Hello,

If you turn off run checking for proftpd (/usr/local/directadmin/data/admin/services.status), you can attempt to install whatver you wish. But you'll be on your own :)

John

What are the chances of DA realizing the ability to 'switch' between ProFTP and PureFTP.... similar to the 'C-word' Panel.. ?

:-D

I cant honestly think of why they would want to, Ensim doesn't Plesk doesn't. why have 2 FTP daemons permanently running using twice as much resources and probably causing a big mixup between sites using 1 server and another with your support staff?

Because they wouldn't be running at the same time.

You would have an option withing DA to 'switch' to one, have it run a script to convert... yadda yadda... badda boom... new server in place..

:)

I too hope there will be an option to choose between proftpd and pureftpd - why? Because there are known issues for DSL users including myself who are using 3com routers.

For some reason if you are one of these users proftpd will freeze once you browse into a directory (but it can happen way before you even get a chance to browse there).

Here in Europe a lot of people use 3com Office Connect routers and this is a big issue.

That all said I would love to see such an option because it is impossible to work with ftp if you run this router.

Please consider adding this and you will have at least 2 new clients :)

The router can't tell the name of your ftp daemon.

Is it an issue with whether or not the router requires passive FTP?

You can force passive FTP on or off in the configuration file.

Jeff

Nobody really knows the exact issue yet. However I investigated a bit and found that a lot of 3com Office Connect router users have the same problem (I don't understand spanish but there are endless topics about this on most forums such as the ev1servers forum).

For me it's not longer a problem as I just purchased a new router (3com g11) and the problem is gone - however there are still many people who have this issue which is why I believe it would maybe be a good idea to support alternative ftp daemons like pureftpd or maybe vsftpd (seems to be good for large sites as the following ftp servers use it:

ftp.redhat.com
ftp.suse.com
ftp.debian.org
ftp.openbsd.org
ftp.freebsd.org
ftp.gnu.org
ftp.gnome.org
ftp.kde.org
ftp.kernel.org
rpmfind.net
ftp.linux.org.uk
ftp.gimp.org
ftp-stud.fht-esslingen.de
gd.tuwien.ac.at
ftp.sunet.se
ftp.ximian.com
ftp.engardelinux.org
ftp.sunsite.org.uk
ftp.isc.org

Just worth a try to suggest pureftpd or other alternatives :)

Thanks for your reply tho! ;)

The reason DA, Cobalt, Plesk, many other control panels and most hosting companies I know that started before control panels all use ProFtpD is because the apache-style configuration files make it so easy to set up virtual users and sites.

The sites you mentioned are all single domain sites, so you haven't given us any information at all as to whether or not pureftpd is as easy to configure for virtual users and sites.

Jeff

Hi there,

I found the following document about virtual users (which is also the way cp**** does it)

http://www.pureftpd.org/README.Virtual-Users

Technically it would be easy to code a switch function as you could simply maintain both configs (proftpd and pure-ftpd) and just run the daemon you prefer.

I know CP**** does it this way. They uninstall proftpd but maintain the config and if you switch it copies the proftpd back to default config and removes pureftpd while maintaining the config.

I will ask one of my developers to create a shell script to switch back and forth once I have my DA server up (to see if it works fine) and will report if it worked out.

I'll post my results once completed - maybe it will be some help to others :) Can take some days as we never used DA before and are setting up the first server with it as we speak.

DPB said:
I found the following document about virtual users (which is also the way cp**** does it)

http://www.pureftpd.org/README.Virtual-Users
That lost me. Is there an example of actual files there, so I can see if it compares with the ease of creating files under ProFTPd?
I'll post my results once completed - maybe it will be some help to others :) Can take some days as we never used DA before and are setting up the first server with it as we speak.
Sounds interesting.

I think I'll stick with ProFTPd.

;)

Jeff

I would argue with them on two of those points.

But even more important:

Unless they use the same configuration file format as ProFTPd, you'll have to figure out how to add the users. DA can't do it for you, John has already said he's not changing, the client, and DA is compiled C++ code, so you can't just change it yourself. So you'd have to run a daemon or cronjob to copy out of the ProFTPd configuration files that DA uses, and convert and write to the Pureftpd files on a regular basis.

As seldom as FTP is used on a webhosting server, I don't see the resource saving as more than the resource usage to do the continuous checking for udates.

Good Luck !

Jeff

Back