Music in the workplace

jmstacey

Verified User
Since server administration is not really a social job unless your on the tech support side that deals with customers.

I was curious if you listened to music while at "work", and if so any kind in particular?
If you are an employer, why or why not do you allow employee's to bring their own personal music devices? For example, do you find that employee's become more or less productive.

Personally I listen to smooth jazz. Very loose, makes the time pass by faster and keeps me from throwing servers out the window.
To answer my own example question, at this time employee's are allowed to bring and listen to their own music, however it is a privilege which discretion remains my perogative.

Just interested in hearing your thoughts, of course throwing in a business question for you workaholics.

I usually listen to the radio. Not because the music is great, but to actually know what is going on in the `real world`

You bet I always have music playing, I rediscovered Cake last week and that made me look into some of my old stuff so I am listening to Johnny Winter Live in NYC right now.

My mood influences what I listen to when I work. I'm all over the board on my taste in music. If I had employees they could listen to whatever they wanted as long as it didn't impede safety in the workplace or subject it to another employee who may not care for their choice of music. Sorry, no music if they're working with customers. The customer comes first. After all they're getting paid to work, not to listen to music. Yah, yah... watta witch. ;)

I almost always have something playing.

Currently, I have a Frank Sinatra collection playing. Some days I play my upbeat playlist.

On days I code I have a 'Music To Code By' playlist which is mainly instrumental.

A lot of days lately I play my Melancholy list. (Which has some beautiful songs in it.)

=C=

I used to listen to the Radio Netscape Klezmer channel while working; in fact I kept a Windows box alive just so I could.

A while ago Netscape Radio started limiting everyone to only three hours a day; more than that and you had to buy AOL. Not that I minded paying, as I've always liked the music selection.

But I did mind installing AOL.

So I then listened to Klezmer channel three hours a day, and the local oldies station the rest of the time.

Now AOL/Netscape has dropped the Klezmer channel, so I can finally take the old Windows box out of service (after I figure out a replacement for PageMaker).

I listen to KOLA (local oldies station) and occasional CDs to match my mood.

I use a Sony sound system hooked up to my Linux and Windows desktops; it has two inputs, a subwoofer, and a great sound.

As to letting employees listen while they work?

For telecommuters I don't care; heck I couldn't monitor it if I did care. However clients do come first.

But for workers here in the office? No; they'd have to listen to whatever bland "elevator music" I decided to pipe in, or nothing at all; I don't allow earphones as I find them both isolating and dangerous.

Jeff

I also forgot to mention in my first post that I also like big band, swing, ya know those really true oldies (geez, how old am I :eek:
Basically everything except country (depends on what kind of country)
however I don't really have much liking for the recent stuff.

Semi-favorite saying "Rap's Crap"
(No offense to those who do, just my opinion ;) )

I not a big fan of anything classical or jazz, but do like anything from Aerosmith, Ice Cube, Ghetto boys (hard rap, if there is such a thing :D) and Pearl Jam, 3 Doors down and Pantera. Oh and Linkin Park, John Bulter, Limp Bizkit and Maroon 5

I am also against most music that comes from TV show competitions, just don't seem to interest me.

Last edited:
XM Radio online, baby!!!

Their new web streams sound GREAT, and their player was just updated as well. I'll never go back to terrestrial radio - as long as fox news keeps sending me email about important news items. :)

Back