FreeBSD 5.3, DA and ports

DamnSkippy

Verified User
Two questions one thread, don't shoot me ;) There are some other people running FreeBSD around here though we seem to be a minority :) How many of you FreeBSD admins use ports on your systems to install things like Apache, MySQL, PHP etc?

I know that if it is going to be a DA machine you would not so this is a general question.

I just setup a new machine and being lazy used the ports to install the above and it seems there is problems with at least the MySQL and Apache ports. The mysql41-server port would not even compile so I used the mysql40-server instead. I used the mod-php4 port to install php and Apache (told you I was being lazy) and using apache_enabled="YES" in rc.conf does not auto start even though the apache.sh file is in the correct place. If I run it manually it just fails but apachectl start works fine from the command line. Seems the ports are mucked up. I guess I should have done it the old fashioned way though I do usually use the MySQL port.

I am still lurking and learning here about DA before I purchase it and start messing with it (plus I need the time). How do you feel the support for FreeBSD 5.3 is with DA? Do updates and patches come out quickly for it from DA or do you find yourself having to do it manually? If so is it a pain because things are in different locations or anything?

I thought about putting this in the 5.3 beta area but thought this to be a better place maybe, if not sorry to be off topic.

OK a third ? why is the 5.3 area still listed as beta anyway? It is listed as a supported OS on the website.

Back