/etc/make.conf

DamnSkippy

Verified User
I normally have some options in my make.conf to optimize code, specifically:
CPUTYPE?=i686
CFLAGS= -O2 -pipe

that way everything I build gets some optimizations applied to it but nothing too extreme that would cause issues.

When using DA it looks like it uses build scripts to install apache, mysql etc etc but are these source scripts that get compiled like a port or more like a package to use FreeBSD speak.

If they are source compiles then great I get to add some optimizations but if not I guess I would have to do it with a recompile of the apps and that seems like it might turn into a huge pain in the end.

All services customapache maintains are built from source, so you can change those. MySQL depends on how you install and maintain it I guess. It can either be a package from the FreeBSD ports or compiled via the ports as well. Initially I think it's a package, but there are upgrade instructions around these forums on how to upgrade by compiling the ports or sources from MySQL.com.

Thanks for the reply!

So DA puts all of MySQL in the same places as it would normally if I installed using the port then correct?

I use different flags when compiling MySQL than most apps, in fact I use the recommended settings by MySQL in the manual with the exception that I use -02 rather than -03. Here is what they say to use:

CFLAGS="-O3 -mpentiumpro" CXX=gcc CXXFLAGS="-O3 -mpentiumpro \
-felide-constructors -fno-exceptions -fno-rtti"

./configure \
--prefix=/usr/local/mysql --enable-assembler \
--with-mysqld-ldflags=-all-static

So this is something that I can go back and do after the initial install of DA correct? I wish the install from DA would have a way of specifying different flags for the apps to use during install. Though if it is a package rather than a port that does not apply.

Back