Exim and incomplete transation

GoranTornqvist

Verified User
Hello,
Recently I started experiencing problems with Exim on one of our servers.
The exim_mainlog show a lot of:

incomplete transaction (QUIT)
incomplete transaction (connection lost)
incomplete transaction (RSET)

It happens with both existing and non-existing e-mail accounts on the server and I've already had 1 support case from a customer who's collegue tried to mail him and the mail got bounced. The log had "incomplete transaction (RSET)" for that mail.

We have an identical server to this server and that server doesn't have any problems. And I can't think of any changes that's been done on this server that would affected exim.

Here are some examples from the log:

2005-04-21 09:24:35 H=(mrbean.net.au) [221.140.114.102] incomplete transaction (connection lost) from <[email protected]>
2005-04-21 09:24:35 unexpected disconnection while reading SMTP command from (mrbean.net.au) [221.140.114.102]

2005-04-21 00:17:15 H=smtp.1800petmeds.com [65.202.84.121] F=<> rejected RCPT russterrell44@A_DOMAIN_ON_OUR_SERVER: Unrouteable address
2005-04-21 00:17:15 H=smtp.1800petmeds.com [65.202.84.121] incomplete transaction (RSET) from <>

After checking a bunch of these messages it feels like most of these mails are spam though...but some aren't though.

Any idéas? What could I check?

Thanks...

The first error message you posted indicates that exim couldn't complete the transaction because the other smtp server didn't ever respond to a prompt exim sent for it to continue.

The second error message you posted indicates that exim refused email from a nonexistent sender.

Exim will refuse all messages from nonexistent senders as it cannot then send back the messages if it has a problem delivering them, as required by the RFCs.

Jeff

Thanks..

That sounds to me like the problem isn't on my server but on the sending server...or because some mail is spam?

The thing is, on our "older" server with DA we never get this message. Could this be due to differences between exim versions , how they behave?

The first error message you posted indicates that exim couldn't complete the transaction because the other smtp server didn't ever respond to a prompt exim sent for it to continue.

The second error message you posted indicates that exim refused email from a nonexistent sender.

Exim will refuse all messages from nonexistent senders as it cannot then send back the messages if it has a problem delivering them, as required by the RFCs.

Upping an old thread as I face the same situation.

2008-09-22 06:50:37 H=MY IP (SERVER) [MY IP] incomplete transaction (connection lost) from <[email protected]>
2008-09-22 06:50:37 unexpected disconnection while reading SMTP command from MY IP (SERVER) [MY IP]

CentOS 4, exim configuration was not modified. Any ideas?

Back