username length

Hello,

No, it's hard coded. Names must be 4-10 characters long. Mysql databases can't have a name longer than 16 characters, so a 10 character username only leaves 5 characters for a database name (username_dbname). Any longer and we'd run into troubles :)

John

Length of usernames

John,

Is it possible to create 'aliases' on a user name, e.g. corresponding with the domainname, including tld (and if there are more domain names under one user, there would be more 'alias' names). Login in with an alias, you should go directly to this domain.

This way you keep the usernames at 10 positions and give users a nice option to go directly to their domain as well.

Leen

According to my limited understanding of databases, database names can be as long as you want if you set the database field category to accept it. The next category after 16 characters is 64 for a MySQL database, I believe.

I'd *really* *really* prefer it if I could use usernames longer than 10 characters. 10 is very limiting.

Really. If there were a way to convince you to change that, I'd be very grateful. (Heck, if I had access to my host's copy (hostpc.com - hint, hint) of the program I'd change it myself.

Hello,

Just a correction, the databases can be up to 64 characters, but the usernames can only be 16. I meant to refer to the Usenames :)

John

Argh. A 10 character username length really sucks.

It breaks about 200 of 687 users on my server. I don't really like the idea of coordinating all these users to change their usernames.

Perhaps switching to DA is more effort than it's worth.

Hello,

The username limit can be increased. The only issue (As I've stated before) is the mysql username limit. I have to make sure that everything works in a happy balance. I am willing to increase it to 12, but that leaves only 3 characters (one for the _ ) for the database username (username_123). This might cause a few people to be upset, or it might not.. but it has to be looked at it from all angles.

John

Hmm so I guess that means the MySQL users will all have to be renamed too...

Please look at my suggestion. You can make an 'unlimited' number of login names, keeping the usernames the way they are, for all purposes.

Hi Leen,

Thanks for the suggestion, we'll keep it in mind. What we're talking about the limits of mysql usernames, which differ from DA usernames. The thing is that mysql usernames *begin* with the DA username, to keep things organized eg: dausername_dbusername... it gets pretty long, pretty quick :)

John

John,

Why not make it a setting people can set during the DA install?

Then everyone will be happy. I think it's fine as 10.

Cheers,
Matt :)

I just checked out the possibility of increasing MySQL's username length. There are a handful of complaints on the mysql list but no responses... You can increase the size of the user field but then the GRANT command won't work. So looks like it'll stay at 16 characters for a while to come. Unless more people request it. It'd definitely make the transition to DA smoother for me.

One username length setting limit, coming up. I'll limit the limit:
low: 8
high: 14

14 will leave 1 character for mysql usernames :)

The setting will be in the directadmin.conf, but won't be in the Admin Settings (not exactly something you'll be changing daily :)

John

Back