OS updates and DA

DamnSkippy

Verified User
I have not given up on DA yet and my curiosity will get the better of me I am thinking. In other words I said I would wait in another thread but I doubt it will happen ;)

Anyway I know DA installs everything it needs on top of a base OS install. When updating the OS using cvsup (5.3 install RELENG_5_3) and re-building world etc. Is there anything that needs to be excluded in make.conf.

I know in hsphere I exclude sendmail and Bind. Is that needed with DA also?

At this point I can only assume that not excluding sendmail would break links to Exim but I hate to make an Ass out of U and Me (Just me really in this case).

Thanks jmstacey, I had seen that but forgot to mention it in my original post. I was just looking for confirmation I guess that nothing needs to be excluded because that seems a liitle strange to me.

But on the upside it makes updating less of a worry as far as breaking DA :)

I think I am going to go ahead and get a copy this week so I can start tearing it apart.

The base configuration in the tutorial will work. The cvsup sytem doesn't actually build the applications themselves (unlike yum), and since the sources downloaded are kept in a different location than DirectAdmin's you can safely update everything (such as ports as well).

Kind of hard to explain since that update method is different than others, such as Debian's package system.

Yeah, I was just worried that DA installed it's own Bind and I know if uses it's own mail software. Most apps I have seen make links to thier mail app for sendmail and doing a build/install world etc will reset the links. I have seen many an hsphere system broke because of those.

Back