Daily backup - how to EXCLUDE a domain?

SupermanInNY

Verified User
Hi there,

I'm running a nightly backup which works great.
However, I have one domain which I want to exclude from the backups. It is too big to be backed up and in my particular case, I don't want it to be included in the nightly run of backups.
How or where do I 'exclude' it or erase the entry for this particular domain so it will not be backed up?

thanks,

-Alon.

that is easy,

just look in your backup config and uncheck all users and select just the users to backup.

vandal said:
that is easy,

just look in your backup config and uncheck all users and select just the users to backup.

Sounds easy enough.
Where exactly is that backup config file located? what is the exact name of this file and where would I look for it.

Please let me know what is that name and its location.

Thanks,

-Alon.

vandal was talking about the control panel.
Under Reseller Level access, go to "Manage User Backups".
There you can tick who you like!
Ticked - they get backed up.
Unticked - they're out!
Simple as.....

However, I have one domain which I want to exclude from the backups.
Technically, there is no way to do that through DirectAdmin at this time. Excluding users as suggested above will work, however the entire user account will not be backed up. And if the user who owns this domain also has other domains, none of them will be backed up.

ahh yes i misread this sorry. too tired :(

maybe put this in feature requests section and see if DA can add it.

Well.,.. in my specific case, I have a user who has just one domain, or better phrased, anything under that particular user will not need a backup.

Now,. in DA, I don't have anything checked,. they are just 'unchecked', but showing.

I only see an option to Add. No option to remove a user.

How do I add/remove a username from the list?

-Alon.

There is no exclude list either. You will need to check all boxes except the one you don't want to backup.

Just to be clear on how the backup process works:

If none of the checkboxes is selected, as I have it now, it does a Full backup of everything? yet, if I check one or more, it will then only start to relate to what to backup, or not,.. if not checked?

At least this is what I'm experiencing now:

Currently, I have the: "Configure Full System Backup" with all checkmarks.

Below it, I have "Use remote trasfer" which I don't use, and below it I have:

"Directories" and next to it I have "Files".
Nothing is selected in the Directories nor the Files.
However, since I have a nightly backup of everything in the server - homedirectories that correspond to the list - I'm not sure how this process works.
Perhaps someone can enlighten me and explain me what is the process precisely.

Thanks,

-Alon.

Ah, I thought you were talking about the backup on the reseller level, it's really the full system backup from the admin level ;)
Above instructions are for the reseller level user backups.

The Backup on the admin level is not capable of per-user selection.

jmstacey said:
Ah, I thought you were talking about the backup on the reseller level, it's really the full system backup from the admin level ;)
Above instructions are for the reseller level user backups.

The Backup on the admin level is not capable of per-user selection.

That's not right. or perhaps I'm missing something:

I was citing from the Admin level backup:
It has the Homedirectories of everyone, with checkboxes, so obviously you can check or uncheck specific users.

I'm using version 1.24

-Alon.

Your right. I didn't have the " Add user home directories to directory list below" box checked when I looked.

If you select that box as you've done already, you will still need to check all directories except that users directory which you want to exclude.

Tip: Click on the "Select" header to select all then you can just uncheck the one box, saves some time.

Well.. mine already had the "Add user home directories to directory list below" checked and working.
I have all my users backing up everynight.

But, what I'm saying is,.. while that adds the users to the list below,.. the list below doesn't have any user with a check mark in the check box. I have all the users with empty checkboxes, yet they are all being backed up nightly.

It is either a bug or overlooked option:

I think all the usernames and everything that shows in the directories and files should have a checkmark in them,.... and if, as I asked, I want to NOT have them added in to the nightly run,.. I should be able to UNcheck it.

But, since none of them are checked,. this is a bit confusing to me. It seems the logic is that if NOne are check.. then they are All backed up,. if a single one of them is checked.. then just that one will be backedup,...
Do you follow my reasoning now?

Is this a bug or am I missing something?

-Alon.

Well... I think it needs a rethinking of the design,.. but:

If you scrolll aaaallllllll the way down on the list of users.. you will find a Delete button!

Check the one you don't want and scroll down all the way to the end.. and press the delete button.

I'm sorry,. that just doesn't sound like a proper design,.. a button should be outside the scrolling part,. so you know it is there.

In any event,. once I clicked on it,. it prompted me with:

Success

Details

Directories removed from /usr/local/sysbk/mod/custom.dirs

Which as you can imagine,. has the files with the lists of what is going to be included/excluded etc.

Answer was provided by John of DA.

Thanks everyone for the help.

-Alon.

Back