SpamAssassin Red Hat 9

existenz

Verified User
Can someone tell me is SpamAssassin works in RH 9? I would like to set it up on by box and ran the script from DirectAdmin dir spam.sh and gave me this error.

Warning: prerequisite HTML::parser 3 not found.

Warning: I could not locate your pod2man program. Please make sure,
your pod2man program is in your PATH before you execute 'make'

Writing Makefile for Mail::SpamAssassin
Makefile:92: *** missing separator. Stop.

Any ideas?

Is HTML::parser installed? That was the first thing complained about by the script so that's the best place to start. RH9 has an HTML::parser RPM, so you can install that. Or install it with CPAN:

# perl -MCPAN -e 'install HTML::parser'

pod2man should be included in the perl package.

Also have you installed the latest Perl errata from Red Hat? There were problems with the new Unicode support I believe, these could be biting you.

I just ran up2date today and that may have screwed me. I thought that I should be doing ok but I was not sure. I have the following version of perl installed:

This is perl, v5.8.0 built for i386-linux-thread-multi
(with 1 registered patch, see perl -V for more detail)

You should be fine with Perl if you've run up2date. Need to look at the other things - i.e. make sure HTML::parser is installed and work out why pod2man isn't working.

As if things are not getting worse...the CPAN shell is not working. I am looking for documentation on how to fix but any suggestions would help...

When you envoke the CPAN shell this is what I get

"Can't locate CPAN.pm in @INC"

I assume RH's up2date broke the path.

pod2man is a another issue...

I don't think the RH update has too much to do with it - it was only a minor update. Sounds like you've got the Perl install stuffed up somehow. Hard to recommend anything in general.

Hello,

what does
Code:
locate pod2man
return? If you've already got it, you'd just need to add the path to your environmental varibles, else you need to get pod2man :)

John

I did a whereis last night and found I have it...

pod2man: /usr/bin/pod2man /usr/share/man/man1/pod2man.1.gz

I am not sure how to correct this or add the HTML::parser. I downloaded the rpm but the following dependecies were needed:

perl(HTML::Tagset) is needed by perl-HTML-Parser-3.31-1
perl-base >= 0:5.004 is needed by perl-HTML-Parser-3.31-1
perl-HTML-Tagset is needed by perl-HTML-Parser-3.31-1
perl-base is needed by perl-HTML-Parser-3.31-1

So I was thinking it would be better to fix and use CPAN to download HTML::parser so I get all the dependecies at once?

arch this is fustrating...sometimes I hate Red Hat when I use BSD all day it feels like the difference between Windows and MacOS :D

Well you need to get the other RPMs it says to get... It's not too complex...

Yes but that does not solve the problem that is more of a bandage than a solution. I could sit here and download all the rpm's but then the next time I need to use CPAN I am still screwed.

I was thinking of installing tring to reinstall perl fixing it so that I can use the CPAN shell to get it to download for me?

chuckd,

I just wanted to give you a update. Perl was hosed, I removed the old version 5.8.0 from the update. I then downloaded 5.8.1 the source and compiled it and that fixed all the problems, CPAN shell works again, pod2man is fixed. This stuff worked prior to the update so either have one messed up box or something is up with that update.

Thanks for your help!!

Mm strange maybe the RPM install failed halfway through or something. Good to hear it's back to normal.

Writing Makefile for Mail::SpamAssassin

these errors can be removed by doing:
Code:
export LANG=C
before running perl -e shell -MCPAN or he spam.sh script

Originally posted by existenz I just wanted to give you a update. Perl was hosed, I removed the old version 5.8.0 from the update. I then downloaded 5.8.1 the source and compiled it and that fixed all the problems[/B]
I had the had the same problem with 5.8.0 but fixed it by editing

/etc/sysconfig/i18n

and changing one line

from
LANG="en_US.UTF-8"

to
LANG="en_US"

make sure to totally log off the server (disconnect your SSH session) and log in again for the change to take effect

I am having a problem with this...

I tried runnng ./spam.sh in the /usr/local/directadmin/scripts directory. It gave me a warning that HTML::parser 3.24 was not found.

I tried the
# perl -MCPAN -e 'install HTML::parser'

it gave me an error "Can't locate CPAN.pm in @INC"

I upgraded perl to version 5.8.5 (compiled from source) as suggested in this thread.

Then # perl -MCPAN -e 'install HTML::parser' worked. However I still get the warning. I tried the # perl -MCPAN -e 'install HTML::parser' again and it said that the Parser was up to date.

Where to go to next? Any suggestions?

Regards,
Onno

Back