FreeBSD betten than Linux?

alex2k

Verified User
Hi,

I just want to know your opinion about FreeBSD and Linux.

is FreeBSD more stable than Linux?

Thank's...

I would say so. There are many aspects to this argument, but I prefer FreeBSD, because by default it's more secure (which isn't the solution to security, but it definetly makes sense to start out that way), it's easier to configure, and FreeBSD ports are a cinch to use.

I moved from RedHat 9 to FreeBSD 5.3 and never looked back.

Matt :)

FreeBSD is better then linux as an operating system, the problem it has is that a lot of software is written to work with redhat primarily which puts FreeBSD in a worse light.

I also prefer BSD on my servers over Linux I find it more stable, faster and secure.

I actually built a desktop using FreeBSD and Gnome just for the fun of it compiling every piece with lots of optimizations. It made a very nice and fast desktop OS.

This is really just personal prefernce, there is no rule that states one is better than the other.
Personally, I used to use FreeBSD but after trying Debian, I've stuck with it since. The packaging system just seems a little better organized that FreeBSD's ports.

I love apt-get to jmstacey, but most of all I love FreeBSD's updating process (make buildworld etc)... much easier than messing about with Linux kernels.

Matt :)

Thank's for your opinion guys.

I still have question ;)
My friend said FreeBSD v4.X still better than v5.x, is that correct?

Btw, I'm planning using FreeBSD for hosting service not for Desktop.

thoroughfare,

I also found that upgrade method to be more efficient. However, from what I've read Debian 3.1 does not require a debian kernel package to update, but I haven't gotten to try it yet.

Debian! Debian Debian!

Cant wait for the official release from DA :)

I cannot change, I will not lose my RedHat.. err.. Fedora. :) LoL.. I started way back on Slackware 2.. :) Evolved into Redhat, never really looked back. I used to run BSDI servers at an ISP I was an admin at.. but that was a while back. I like gentoo myself for a customized bad-arse 64bit pc.. But As far as servers and general desktops go, I can't lose my Fedora. (Just don't go SuSE.. hehehe.)

Back