Red Hat ES4

MadDancer

Verified User
I see that there's an ES4 version of Direct Admin in beta. Any idea on when it'll be available?

I recently upgraded from ES3 to ES4 and boy there are a ton of differences. My server took a big performace hit with the upgrade, too, so I'm inclined to downgrade back to 3.

What's the general concensus on holding out for DA for ES4 versus going all-in now with ES3?

I'm surprised that your server is running more slowly with RHEL4 than with RHEL3; it really shouldn't.

DirectAdmin for RHEL4 is now in beta status; I don't recall seeing any errors reported here; you should probably search the forum before making a decision.

We've recently changed our testbed license to RHEL4, but we haven't had time to do any testing yet; we needed RHEL3 on the system today for rebuilding SpamBlocker.

The advantage of course is that updates will be available for it for at least one year longer than for RHEL3.

Jeff

To be fair, the speed issue I mention is one of a perl mailing script. Emailing newsletters that used to take 4 hours to dispatch now take 18. Other than that, however, everything works really well on ES4. I'm going to just move the mailing scripts to a freebsd machine and be done with it.

Being a DirectAdmin newbie, how long does it usually take for DA to evolve from beta to stable status? I guess I'll hold out for DA on ES4 for the added year of updates, as you mention. Assuming that DA for ES4 leaves beta status quickly enough.

My experience is that it can stay beta for quite some time, while most of us go ahead and quietly implement it anyway.

And DA is quite responsive in fixing problems with beta releases.

Jeff

I ask Support for the stability before I implement the beta version. I have used it for 3 Centos 4 machines, works fine.

Back