Update vm-pop3d in FreeBSD

Webgecko

Verified User
After messing about a bit trying to update vm-pop3d from 1.1.6 to 1.1.7f I figure an easy to follow how-to was in order.

1. Get the file from the DirectAdmin server:
# wget http://files.directadmin.com/services/da_vm-pop3d-1.1.7f.tar.gz

2: I copied mine to /root/scripts as I'll delete it later anyways
# cp da_vm-pop3d-1.1.7f.tar.gz /root/scripts

3. Untar it:
# tar xvzf da_vm-pop3d-1.1.7f.tar.gz

4. cd into the new directory that's been created:
# cd da_vm-pop3d-1.1.7f

5. Configure the file
# ./configure --prefix=/usr

6. Make the file. In FreeBSD, this is where everything when wrong. After you run ./configure..., it will create a file called config.h. At the bottom of this file copy and past this line:

#define UINT16_MAX 65535

Include the hash (#).

Make sure that you put at least one or two blank lines after it so the make doesn't throw a sickie.

7. Make the file
# make

8. Install the file
#make install

Now, if you go ahead and restart here, and then telent to port 110 on your box, you'll notice that your still running the same old version.

I had to copy the vm-pop3d file from it's newly created directory to the old directory to overwrite the old file. Make sure that you have stopped the service before doing this or else it won't let you over write it.

# cp /usr/sbin/vm-pop3d /usr/local/sbin/vm-pop3d

9. Now you can restart the service.
# /usr/local/etc/rc.d/vm-pop3d restart

or stop and start it in your control panel.

Telnet to your box again on port 110 to make sure everything is sweet.

10. You don't have to, but I've then gone back and removed all the files from /root/scripts .

Done....

Happy updating, hope this helps at least someone other than myself.

Cheers!!

If you are running Linux leave out step 6 and the copy in step 8 (at least for my CentOS system).

I was having problems with the old version, this appears to have fixed them. Thanks.

Back