Slew of security updates

thoroughfare

Verified User
Anyone else getting a little annoyed with having to keep performing emergency maintenance on their servers with all the updates for FreeBSD lately?

Matt :)

its annoying but we still get less then linux, we usually get a burst of them then nothing for few months.

It's true that it's been less than Linux certainly. Hopefully this burst will end soon :)

Matt (a RedHat-to-BSD convert)

security updates

if you actually read the adivsory you can see if the paticular patch applies to your machine or not. for example unless you're running an Intel HT machine you dont need to upgrade to 5.4-p5, heh actually you just need to modify a sysctl mib.

It doesnt affect dual xeon's since they dont share memory address space for different processes, I think the only cpu affected by this is Pentium 4 HTT cpu's.

You might be right (I don't know the processor internals very well). I just followed the FreeBSD security advisory though:

I. Background

Sharing the execution resources of a superscalar processor between
multiple execution threads is referred to as "simultaneous
multithreading". "Hyper-Threading Technology" or HTT is the name used
for the implementation of simultaneous multithreading on Intel Pentium
4, Mobile Pentium 4, and Xeon processors. HTT involves sharing
certain CPU resources between multiple threads, including memory
caches. FreeBSD supports HTT when using a kernel compiled with
the SMP option.

I also asked a question on Usenet relating to Xeons, Colin Percival
Credits: Colin Percival
replied (if it was definetly him) and he didn't mention anything about Xeons not being included.

Matt

Ahh, well if xeon's have HTT and you have say a dual xeon does FreeBSD show 4 processors?

if so then I would expect that 4 to become 2 when HTT is disabled.

A dual Xeon box with HTT will show 4 processors, yes.

When HTT is disabled (or patched in FreeBSD), only 2 processors show.

Matt

Back