IMAP -Dare I ask?!

netmotiv8

Verified User
Hi,

For fear of being flamed :D

Any news on the IMAP development. I read some snippets from the forum recently suggesting it was 'almost done'.

We are building a new hosting server this week and looking to purchase and install DA at the same time, but only if IMAP is a feature. We have chosen to delay the build whilst we wait for DA with IMAP.

Kind Regards.

Neil

I know its in the development stages.. But I'm not sure how far it is out... To be safe.. Lets guess a month :D

Hello,

I'm going to try and release the BETA *today* :D ... ill reply to this thread with information on how to install it. It will be something quite simple, along the lines of download the binary for your os, and setup the xinetd for imap and restart xinetd. Should be quite straight forward. I've set it up to create all required directories on the fly, so there is no need to fight with any paths. The "maildir" (home for mail) will be ~username/mail for system accounts, and ~username/imap/domain.com/user/mail for virtual accounts. The system account will be able to view all virtual accounts, with domain.com folders separating the domains. Remember this is *beta* so, play with it, try to break it, try and do things you're not supposed to etc :D ...

John

Hello,

Imap is ready for testing. Just run the following:
Code:
wget -O /usr/sbin/imapd [url]http://files.directadmin.com/services/[/url]<os>/imapd
chmod 755 /usr/sbin/imapd
Where <os> is one of
7.2 7.3 8.0 9.0 freebsd4.8

Then you'll need to setup xinetd (or inetd for freebsd):
RedHat:
put the following data into : /etc/xinetd.d/imap
Code:
# default: on
# description: imapd
service imap
{
        disable = no
        socket_type              = stream
        wait                    = no
        user                    = root
        server                 = /usr/sbin/imapd
        log_on_success          += DURATION USERID
        log_on_failure             += USERID
        nice                     = 10
}
And then type: service xinetd restart

freebsd:
add the following line into /etc/inetd.conf:
Code:
imap4   stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/imapd     imapd
Then run:
Code:
kill `cat /var/run/inetd.pid`
/usr/sbin/inetd -wW

John

Is there a way to enable SSL on this IMAP or must i use a encryption tunnel/wrapper around imap?

Hello,

TLS should be available already, but if you want SSL, you'll probably need to figure out a wrapper. (I havn't thought that far ahead! :) )

John

OK,

Install STUNNEL (www.stunnel.org)

Add an extra service in /etc/xinetd.d/ called imaps

# default: on
# description: imaps / port 993
service imaps
{
disable = no
socket_type = stream
wait = no
user = root
server = /usr/sbin/stunnel
server_args = -T -p /etc/stunnel/stunnel.pem -l /usr/sbin/imapd
log_on_success += DURATION USERID
log_on_failure += USERID
nice = 10
}

Where /etc/stunnel/stunnel.pem is your PEM file (Read the stunnel FAQ for creating such PEM file)

after that do " service xinetd restart " and your done...

Wow !! Thanks for IMAP ;)
I just installed IMAP correctly but there's a little prob. My admin emails login are not working. It keep asking for a user - pasword.
I'm using something like [email protected] and the password.

Is there a way to fix it ?

Thanks again !

well, I fixed the problem by creating a new user with 3logics.com as the domain name. Dunno why it didn't worked with the admin user but it's working fine now. ^.^

Hello,

Just letting you know i have been running IMAP for 2 days now with no problems...its great.

Thanks John.

Seems to work just fine,

Only thing i missing is the configuration options of the IMAPD.
Hopefully this will be there soon.

Helo,

before ..... i know that DA doesnt support IMAP, so today i tried to installed imap by own, but not working,

then I go to DA forum, search the imap, and got this thread, wow, it works now, thanks John,

so ... i think DA must give announce via. email if DA have new features, so we no need to check forum often.

Hmmm... any reason why xinetd wouldn't exist in /etc/init.d ?

I don't have that file, therefore I can't restart it -

Suggestions?

Back