New Server Setup - Centos 3.4 or 4 ??

UpAllNight

Verified User
I'm getting ready to set up a new server which will be my first running DirectAdmin. Would appreciate any suggestions or comments on which version of Centos OS (3.4 or 4) would be best to install?

Thanks

I would recommend using the latest stable version of an OS, for Centos that would be 4.0, rather use the latest than having to upgrade later on. Upgrades are forever tricky

boonchuan,

While your response makes sense, your logic in the case of CentOS may not.

CentOS is based on RHEL, and CentOS 3 will be maintained for at least four more years.

The beauty of using RHEL, CentOS, WBEL, is the freedom from version updates.

Jeff

But I thought updates from Centos 3 to Centos 4 is harder than if you were to just install Centos 4 and do the upgrades Centos 4 provide?

Jeff,

Sounds like you have some concern(s) about Centos 4? Is it just because it's so new or is there something else?

Thanks

My only issue with CentOS 4 is that I haven't gotten around to testing it yet.

We expect to do it shortly.

My point wasn't that the decision to use 4 was bad, but that the reasoning may have been suspect.

If you've tried CentOS 4 and it works for you, by all means use it.

I would.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff. Actually both DA and Centos are new to me. I actually started considering Centos after reading a few of your comments in other threads here. I would prefer to go with 4 just to get as long a life out of it as possible, if it's reliable to use at this point.

I have just used it for 2 servers Centos 4, I am still alive so are both the servers. Certainly hope for long life for all 3.....

Thanks boonchuan. Ordering the server today so it will be 7-14 days before I'll be ready for DA. Let me know how your servers do.

Thanks,
David

Back