slidehammer

Verified User
I still can not upload my files in the welcoming email it said to upload using

ftp://your-customers-site.com/public.html

so I type in ftp://their site.co.uk/public.html

or ftp:/their-sites user name.com/public.html

ftp://esecuresite/their-site.com

ftp://

I have tried all ways, it says its published but when I go to the control panel it wont let me access the public.html file

I deleted the account and started again, now all the updated files are back in the old c-panel controls

I really can not find anything to see whats wrong, someone else has looked over it and cant see anything obviously wrong I have posted sent emails and keep looking in both forums and no ones helping me, can someone please tell me what i am supposed to do because this should be a simple task to set up accounts and then tranfer files but it isnt because they wont upload.

Please dont anyone ask what connection i have because its a cable connection, theres nothing wrong with that.

The other thing is how is that even though i have enables frontpage extensions it says they are not installed ?

I really need help here Please.

FTP Details are as follows:

Server: ftp.domain.com
Username: yourusername
Password: yourpassword

Upload files to the "public_html" directory. I don't know where you came up with "public.html" - but this is incorrect.

re your reply

yes it is with frontpage and I have tried all the ways you have said, but they still wont go there

and as I said when they did look like they were in the right place I was no longer able to access the public-html file

if you dont stick the file extentsion on where you want them to go to how do they know to go into that file because the other c-panel i had to add public-html otherwise they just didnt go there!

i dont understand

I am now trying to upload using

ftp.esecuresite.com

which is one of the addresses given I now get the server you are trying to upload to dosnt have frontapage extensions installed, but it does cause i enabled it

I have followed the instruction in the site helper, but it still wont work

when you say upload to ftp.yourcustomerssite.com if the dns of the name hasnt yet been changed would i use the ip address instead, I thought this may be the reason its going onto the old server and not this one because the name still points to the old site

ok I now have some of the files over but they have gone into the main folder not the public_html which is where i thought they are supposed to be and that is why i stuck public_html on the end at first.

so files are there but in wrong folder why?

does this mean that every time i transfer over i then have to go into panel and move them because there has got to be an easier way so what am i missing here?

it still says i dont have frontpage extensions why?

this is something i really dont understand and its really getting to me. sorry if i sound annoyed its not with any of you.

back to square one

transfered files as said now cant get access anymore

the following error message

Your connection has timed out

Details
Either your request was invalid or the program hasn't completed your request.
Please notify the server admin

I use a cable connection so what the hells wrong I thought all was going well some files previously transfered and I could gain access now i have sent the whole site over i no longer can gain access please help someone this is really not fair I have work to complete 2 and I have tried to get answers all yesterday and I dont have all today.

Well I will try help you make sense:

Server timing out is nothing personal. All FTP programs will display that if you do not upload anything for so many minutes/hours (Ussually 10 minutes). This is a security feature and also helps keep the server load down.

Just because you connect to ftp.domain.com doesn't mean you upload into the first folder you see. You should double click on /public_html/ and put the files in there. You should be able to drag the files into there and save uploading them all again :)

Frontpage extensions should be turned off unless you intend to upload your site via frontpage.

Well anyways thats me done. I could put more but the microwave just beeped and I like my dinner hot :D

the problem is I am using frontpage and have tried every combination possible

I hope your dinner was hot enough, mine dont need a microwave i am producing enough heat around me at present due to frustration!

Also another thing: as far as I know you cannot use FTP and MS Frontpage at the same time. Would you care to talk to me on MSN? Add me: [email protected]
Maybe I can setup a trial account on the SpinnaHost server to see if we can recreate and solve the issue :)

I have just had an answer that may be the solution, when i am trying to upload via frontpage the files go straight back into my old panel, this is because or so i am told down to the fact the dns hasnt been changed yet!!

will try the above if still no joy will get back to you thanks everybody:D

SH-Lloyd said:
Also another thing: as far as I know you cannot use FTP and MS Frontpage at the same time. Would you care to talk to me on MSN? Add me: [email protected]
Maybe I can setup a trial account on the SpinnaHost server to see if we can recreate and solve the issue :)

Yep Lloyd that is correct, frontpage extensions and FTP both enabled can mess you about by cuasing conflicts etc, id recommend not enabling FP extesnions unless they are requested :)

Chris

SH-Lloyd said:
I would reccomend not using Front Page full stop but it is your choice :)

:D I personally hate FP also and recommend to keep away from it as much as possible although some like Bill Gates software that always manages to break or crash when your running it :mad:

Chris

I will be honest only use frontpage as it was the only software i could afford at the time, dreamweaver had a look at it but couldnt really see anything extra for the money, admittedly I didnt look for too long!

I know have dreamweaver but because i am a stress head with new things havnt really tried it yet.

I like the simplicity of frontpage and it does all i need it to do or should i say all i think i need at this point!

thanks for the reply I have now changed my dns settings and await the time that i can transfer files!!!

slidehammer said:
I will be honest only use frontpage as it was the only software i could afford at the time
The May issue of "Practical Internet" (a UK-based publication) includes a complete copy of Version 4 of "NetObjectsFusion"; it's better than FP, and doesn't require extensions :) .

For those of us in the US, I found it at Borders, but Barnes+Noble should have it as well.

Jeff

Back