How To Change The Port On FTP

PiNk|^|FlOyD

I was curious to know how I would change the default ftp port from 21 to something else. I would be much grateful for a timely reply.

cannot connect to my site

Can anyone help me on this: I cannot connect to my site.

My ftp account/server: ftp.clsponline.stonerocket.net

Before I was using the DA file manager for uploading my files to the site. I recently purchased smartftp for the same purpose and for convenience's sake. However, I cannot connect using ports 21 or 2222.

The message says ' Operation timed out'.

Can anyone help me? Thanks.

Last edited:
Forget about 2222; ftp is supposed to work on port 21 and on certain high ports it opens on a case by case basis.

Are you running a firewall? If so, does it allow port 21 through in both directions? Are you attempting to run passive ftp? If so then are you running with open ephemeral ports, and have you defined those ports in the proftpd.conf file?

Jeff

Hello

I have the same problem, for some reason I cannot change the port from proftpd to another one.

Single it publishes the file in: /etc/proftpd.conf But when changing to him the line of the port, the 21 to another one for example: 2225 Simply in ProFtpd it does not raise.

For my it is necessary to change to the port due to attacks direct type bruteforce from hundreds of ips to the FTP, causing that the Server is overloaded and let respond.

Use: p4 3 Ghz, OS: CentOS4.2

Could somebody say to me so that the change of port does not work?

Thanks

If you change the port the FTP daemon runs on you must restart the daemon; how you do that depends on the OS distribution you're using.

You must also make sure that you're not firewalling of the port you're using.

Jeff

Hello
Thanks for its answer.

When change the port of the FTP if resumption the demon of the FTP and I am totally safe that firewall allows to the port that desire to open.

I found a documentation in: http://www.proftpd.org/docs/faq/linked/faq-ch4.html#AEN322

where it indicates the change in virtual host.

I made and the demon of the FTP if I start without problems, but when trying to connect to me the connection was lost from the FTP client, when reading the directory of the account.

And there to me it is obstructed.

Thanks for its aid.

Back