CNAME on DNS

Integrity

Verified User
Hello,

I followed the directions on Site-helper regarding CNAME entry.

As it state in Site-Helper:

"Using CNAME, you can point other hostnames to the canonical (A record) address. For example:

sub.yourdoman.com. CNAME yourdomain.com.

CNAME records make it possible to access your domain through sub.yourdomain.com. Without a proper CNAME record, you will not be able to connect to your server using such addresses."

I did this and the when I go to sub.yourdomain.com it directs me to the server itself (like direct to server ip address).

FYI I have not created a subdomain "sub", just a direct entry to DNS setting exactly as stated on Site-Helper and yes I did not forget to put in a dot at the end. I have also waited at least 15 minutes for it to resolve just in case.

Also is it possible now on DA to create a CNAME record to an external address like for example sub.yourdomain.com CNAME yehey.com?

Hello,

This is because you not only need the CNAME to resolve, but you also need apache to recognize the hostname. "sub.domain.com" would not be in the httpd.conf file unless you add a subdomain. I think you're expecting *.domain.com to go to domain.com, which it doesn't. (Just create the subdomain)

Else you can use the custom httpd.conf setting to accomplish what you need (need admin access).

John

You CAN create CNAME entries for external sites. I use a dynamic dns service for home, and then have a CNAME to that name. That way home.example.com always points to my home connection.

Still Not Working

I have tried every configuration but for some reason it is not working.

First, I have a reseller account and do not have ssh or root access.

This time I added a subdomain (sub.domain.com) and changed its A record to an external IP address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

Once resolved, sub.domain.com should point to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx, right? But it is not and keeps on pointing to the subdomain folder.

What am I missing here? I have done A records on registrar's side before and it always work this way.

Any ideas?

Never Mind... ITS WORKING NOW!

It is working now. I just waited a few hours for it to resolve and it is now working as planned.

Before I just gave it 30 min max (and average 15min) to see if my changes work but I guess I'll just have to wait a little longer from now on.

I didn't think that it would take that long long to resolve such change in the server. I would think that it should be as instant as creating a subdomain. Any thoughts on this?

Back