Main Server IP problem

erictham

Verified User
Hi,

I have a server which ip ends with .130 and the server is probably register using my main domain abc.com. I have my name server as ns1.abc.com (.130) and ns2.abc.com (.131)

Next, i have setup a reseller account with dedicated ip .131 for abc.com. Which means i am directly using the reseller account (i did not create a user under this reseller account, i directly login to reseller and click user and manage the domain)

Now here comes the problem, when i do a ping from all external source, abc.com resloves to .131 . When i login to SSH and do a ping to abc.com i get .130 ! This is also the source of problem all my php script CURL is not working.

I tried asking a linux guy to help, he says he can change the main server to .131 too, however directadmin might have problem. So i would like to check with experts here, is there anyway to avoid downtime or crash and will be able to reslove this? :confused:

Thank You :cool:

DA must be set for the main IP# of the server.

If you change that you have to have the folk at DA change the license.

However if all you're going to do is change the DNS, that shouldn't matter.

It's impossible to help you further since you haven't given us complete information.

We can't help you determine why things are happening if you hide both your IP# and your hostname.

Jeff

Hi,

I would not like to change the licenese and also would like the server to remain as 61.8.214.130, however i need the curl and icentel.com to works correctly.

The domain is icentel.com and is 61.8.214.131

The Server ip is 61.8.214.130

Thank You

Why do you get .130 when you ping icentel.com from your server? What is the content of your /etc/resolv.conf file?

Jeff

search com
nameserver 61.8.214.11
nameserver 165.21.83.88
nameserver 165.21.100.88

Those three servers are all returning .131.

What's the contents of your /etc/hosts file?

Jeff

# Do not remove the following line, or various programs
# that require network functionality will fail.
127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
61.8.214.130 icentel.com icentel
61.8.214.130 www.icentel.com

Think the problem lies on here.

Take out both of the lines under the localhost line.

You don't have to restart anything.

Jeff

Hi,

When i restart the server, our noc tech guy told us that there is something wrong with the settings as the networkcard did not capture the alt ip address. (At the end he manage to add the ip's in manually)

Looking at my /etc/host, i feel even stranger, for all my subdomain with dedicated ip accounts,i have to add two lines of the domain everytime, if not when the server try to ping to the server, the ip address will show server main ip instead. once i add the lines, it will reslove to the correct ip:

# Do not remove the following line, or various programs
# that require network functionality will fail.
127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
61.8.214.132 yooinc.com yooinc
61.8.214.132 www.yooinc.com

What should i check to make sure all my ip setup/settings are correct ?

Thank You
Eric Tham

Back