catch all & aliases & forwarder ?

young

Verified User
i have the main admin account as a catchall. (ex. main.com)

i added a reseller account as a catch all for the reseller's main domain. (ex. resell.com)

i added a domain under the reseller with the reseller as a catch-all for the other domain. (ex. another.com)
i added a pop account under another.com
there are two pop's [email protected] and [email protected].

i added a forwarder for [email protected] to forward to resellername.

when i send an email from the [email protected] to [email protected], the emails are received by [email protected] and [email protected].

same thing happens if i modify the forwarder for [email protected] to forward to [email protected].

i want [email protected] to get a copy of [email protected]'s mails and to catch all the rest of the emails that aren't sent to [email protected].

main.com aliases
---------------------------
admin: admin
*: admin

resell.com aliases
resellername: resellername
*: resellername

another.com aliases
another: resellername
resellername: resellername
*: resellername

Last edited:
Hello,

If you are getting mail going to the admin account, I would bet that the server's hostname is set to main.com, where it should be set to something like server.main.com.

Why this happens is because the system account "resellername" has a system email account on the server, which can be viewed as resellername@hostname, in this case, [email protected].

If this is the case, you'll have to get the admin (if it isn't you) to change the hostname to a domain that isn't on the server, such as server.main.com instead of just main.com

John

what would be the effects of changing main.com to server.main.com?

if i try to set a catch all on a reseller's domain to send to the reseller's email pop account, the catch all goes to the admin catch all.

if i set the catch all on a reseller's domain to send to an outside email or a reseller created pop account, it sends correctly.

Hello,

It might make it work :)
Depends on what the hostname is currently. The person who made the domain with the same name as the hostname will be getting all system emails for all domains sent to his catch-all. If you just change the hostname, the system email account @domain part will change with it, so they won't be sent to a catch-all anymore. (Make sure the new hostname resolves)

Changing the hostname doesn't really affect anything when it's named spearately from other domains.

John

Back