Building Dependency Tree... Done
You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these:
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
  at: Depends: mail-transport-agent
  exim4: Depends: exim4-base (>= 4.50) but it is not going to be installed
         Depends: exim4-daemon-light but it is not going to be installed or
                  exim4-daemon-heavy but it is not going to be installed or
                  exim4-daemon-custom but it is not installable
  imagemagick: Depends: libmagick6 (= 6:6.0.6.2-2.4) but it is not going to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).
osok:/#

So I try:

Code:
osok:/# apt-get install -f
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Correcting dependencies... Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
  courier-authdaemon courier-base exim4-base exim4-config exim4-daemon-light libfam0c102 libperl5.8
Suggested packages:
  eximon4 exim4-doc-html exim4-doc-info
Recommended packages:
  fam
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  exim
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  courier-authdaemon courier-base exim4-base exim4-config exim4-daemon-light libfam0c102 libperl5.8
0 upgraded, 7 newly installed, 1 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
Need to get 2257kB of archives.
After unpacking 5161kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n
Abort.
osok:/#

Is it safe to say yes here? Should the new courier and exim apps be installed? The normal exim be removed?

When I initially installed DA, I got the same error msg along with others that I chaulked it up to a bad install on my part. I reinstalled Debian and apt-get'd Elvis, the problem that I was trying to get earlier, before I installed DA.

Some DA insight would be extreamly helpful.

Thanks.

-bdk

It appears you already have an apt-get install of exim. I'm not sure why you would, and I don't believe you should.

You need an exclude line in your apt-get configuration file, but I'm not sure what it should be for debian.

If no one else comes up with an answer I'd ask DirectAdmin support.

Jeff

Exim is one of the apps that are installed by default when you install Debian; I think I stopped it before it could continue because I knew DA would install it's own... I guess I'm also asking is it ok to remove the exim that apt-get is trying to install w/o harming the existing server?

-bdk

You can correct the problem using a frontend such as dselect removing the exim version that Debian is trying to install and just relying on what DirectAdmin installed.

It might be better to just remove exim completely and the install it again using DirectAdmin's .deb
that way avoiding the confusion between the two versions.

With all package systems always keep an eye on what will be installed and removed when messing with packages.

I solved this problem doing the following steps:

- issue a apt-get install -f install

- Removed all exim packages with apt-get remove wich are
installed in the previous step.

- Install provided deb package from DA-Support:

wget http://files.directadmin.com/services/debian_3.1/da_exim-4.51.deb

dpkg --install da_exim-4.51.deb

Then restarted the server and everything seems to be running smoothly.......

I had tried to go the dselect route but it wouldn't let me unselect the pacakges... I went ahead w/ the apt-get -f install and then apt-get remove and reinstall the DA exim package, and then started the daemon, works great and now I can install imagemagick just fine.

I wish I could get DA on a development box to play with and break, I get a little hesitant with uninstall/installing packages on a production machine on the fly.

Thanks, my apt-get works now.

-bdk

For future reference you can force dselect to ignore conflicts and do what you want.

Back