Setting IP addresses

Tamsin

Hi,

I am venturing into two new worlds: dedicated servers and Direct Admin, so please be gentle with me :)

I have just got a dedicated server with the intention of seeing what life is like on the other side of things with a view to moving my existing shared hosting clients.

The server has arrived with DA installed, named server.mydomain.com with an IP address (I have 4) assigned to server.

I wish to setup 2 ns servers: ns1 & [email protected] - these will be shared IP addresses for resellers and users.

Firstly, am I right in thinking that it is best to have the server IP address different from the shared IP address?

Secondly, if I'm right for the first question, what is the procedure to go through to setup the ns1 & ns2 IP addresses?

Tamsin

edited to correct silly mistake

Last edited:
Tamsin said:

Firstly, am I right in thinking that it is best to have the server IP address different from the server IP address?

Im assuming you mean having the NS's on a different ip than the main one. I dont know about that one though.

Secondly, if I'm right for the first question, what is the procedure to go through to setup the ns1 & ns2 IP addresses?

Tamsin

First you need to add the ips that were assigned to you from the IP manager (admin panel). Then go to the reseller panel/nameservers and choose the two ip's you want to use as your nameservers.

Re: Re: Setting IP addresses

jdwright said:
Im assuming you mean having the NS's on a different ip than the main one. I dont know about that one though.

Yes. I've corrected my sill mistake.

Thanks,

Tamsin

Firstly, am I right in thinking that it is best to have the server IP address different from the shared IP address?
Well I myself am doing the same thing. If people ping the domains I'm hosting they won't end up with the main server ip address. I put it there to improve security.

I wish to setup 2 ns servers: ns1 & [email protected] - these will be shared IP addresses for resellers and users.
If you want to share you ip adress other than the main server ip address you have to edit the ip.list file in the /usr/local/directadmin/data/users/<username> for each reseller you create.

Back