Custom Name Servers

D9R

Verified User
I have a reseller account. Within that account I have a site for my hosting business -- let's call it myhostingbusiness.com.

I want the DNS settings at the registrar for myhostingbusiness.com to be:
ns1.myhostingbusiness.com
ns2.myhostingbusiness.com

And I want the DNS settings that I tell my clients to use to also be the 2 I just listed.

I only have one IP address to use and it's already for the server so I can't assign 2 IPs as described here: http://reseller.site-helper.com/nameserver.html

I've experimented with changing the NS settings within the user account as described here: http://www.site-helper.com/dns.html but I'm not sure exactly what's going on or why it will work.

Everyone says to just create new nameservers and point them to the old nameservers. Sounds good but I'm not clear on how to do that. Would anyone mind walking me through the procedure as though I'm a complete newbee? (I know a little bit but not a lot.)

re nameservers

:confused:
We have been having exactly the same problem. I have wrote asking for 2 new ip addresses which i can use for customising nameservers. I'm sure this is what we need to go ahead.

re name servers

I just heard back from my hosting company. We have to use the same ip's that were sent in our welcome email even though that looks like it already has a nameserver.

ns1.yourdomain.com ip = number originally givern

Hello,

All DA does is adds records to your dns zone. To create a nameserver on the same IP, just add 2 A reocords into your dns zone for your domain, both pointing to the same IP.

Admin Panel -> Dns Admin -> domain.com -> add A records pointing to the ip.

ns1 -> 1.2.3.4
ns2 -> 1.2.3.4

John

Are you saying I should create 2 new A Records that look like:

ns1.mybusiness.net. => ##.###.##.##1 (original IP for NS1)
ns2.mybusiness.net. => ##.###.##.##2 (original IP for NS2)

I still don't understand how propagation works. Do you know of any good tutorials? How will the world know that ns1.mybusiness.net points to mybusiness.net so that it can get this information that I'm changing?

I just tried setting the DNS for one of my sites to the supposedly new nameservers and received the following (edited) error message:
NS1.MYBUSINESS.NET is not a registered name server.
NS2.MYBUSINESS.NET is not a registered name server.
What's up with that? It has to get propagated into the system before I can use it?

A related question...

I have access to 3 IPs, one is for the "server", the other two are used by NS1 and NS2. I understand that the IPs used for the NS remain "Free" until they're also assigned to a domain.

Two of my domains are currently assigned to the "server" IP, and the two others "own" the two NS IPs. MY "IP Config" panel looks like this:

xxx.xxx.xxx.50 server 100 hostingcompany.com

xxx.xxx.xxx.78 owned myreseller.com ns1.myreseller.com

xxx.xxx.xxx.79 owned one-user-domain ns2.myreseller.com

I'd like to move my user domains off the "Server IP", and onto one of the NS IPs. That way my reseller will still "Own" its IP, and all my user domains will "Share" the other IP. In other words, I want my configuration to appear as follows:

xxx.xxx.xxx.50 server 100 hostingcompany.com

xxx.xxx.xxx.78 owned myreseller.com ns1.myreseller.com

xxx.xxx.xxx.79 shared my-user-domains ns2.myreseller.com

First, is it possible for the IP used by ns2 to also be *shared* with my user domains, or does ns2 need to be "owned" by a single domain, as it is now?

If it'll work, what's the best process to get this done and minimize perturbations to my domains? Remember, I already have one user domain that "owns" the IP that I want to "share" with the other two user domains.

Also, I'd like to sanity check my reasoning here. Since almost 100 domains are assigned to the "server" IP, I figure the virtual hosting may be faster for my 3 user domains if they share a different IP than the server IP. Obviously they're all on the same physical server in either case. But I'm just thinking about whatever work the virtual host software must do to get TCP packets to the proper virtual domain. Seems there might be a noticeable performance improvement moving 3 domains to their own shared IP, and off the server IP.

I'm eager to hear your thoughts, and please be gentle with this relative novice! :)

Best Regards,

Jim

D9R said:
I just tried setting the DNS for one of my sites to the supposedly new nameservers and received the following (edited) error message:

What's up with that? It has to get propagated into the system before I can use it?

You have to bind those IP's to be name servers. This must be done at the Domain Registrar of the domain name you wish to use. So whoever is the registrar for your mybusiness.com domain is where you will need to bind those IP's to be your ns1.mybusiness.com and ns2.mybusiness.com

Thanks Andrax. I figured that out yesterday (about 14 hours ago) as described here:
http://hostpc.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=2772#2772

I think I'm all set now, but won't know for sure till the new settings take effect.

But now that the nameservers are registered/binded at the registrar, what need is there to do anything with the DA control panel? It looks to me like the same process is being done either with the registrar or with DA -- if you do it one place you don't do anything at the other.

Back