Named Service Segmentation Fault

Aziz

Verified User
A user have opened my attention that one of the services does not seem to work, named that is.

Whenever I tried to start it, reload or even stop:

Starting named: /etc/init.d/named: line 111: 17155 Segmentation fault named -u named ${OPTIONS} [FAILED]

I tried to restart the server, but now also the httpd cant start (FAILED), the mysql, and exim are also unstartable..

Any help, ideas?

Peace,

Last edited:
Hello,

I'm wondering if that's sh or the actual named binary that's segfaulting. Try typing:

/usr/sbin/named -u named

If that segfaults, then the named binary isn't working correctly.. not sure why. You'd need to reinstall the binaries.

If everything stopped working, then it's possible your disk is damanged, or something is re-writing files.. I'm really not sure.

John

DirectAdmin Support said:
Hello,

I'm wondering if that's sh or the actual named binary that's segfaulting. Try typing:

/usr/sbin/named -u named

If that segfaults, then the named binary isn't working correctly.. not sure why. You'd need to reinstall the binaries.

If everything stopped working, then it's possible your disk is damanged, or something is re-writing files.. I'm really not sure.

John

Whenever I do anything (e.g. ls) it gives a segemenation fault error. When I did the command you gave me, it also gave me a segmentation fault..

How would I go about reinstalling the binaries..

BTW, the hardware was all checked and reported working fine.

Thanks,
Aziz

wow, that sure sounds like a hard drive issue to me...

ls and named are completely different binaries - chances of both failing are very slim

have you tried checking for a rootkit? do all comands get a segmentation fault? E.g. wget, ps, tar

compmind said:
have you tried checking for a rootkit? do all comands get a segmentation fault? E.g. wget, ps, tar

ps, tar and wget work fine.....

its only ls that does not work fine... I recieved a message from directadmin saying there was ane expolit in openssl, which someone might have inserted an apache command to do something..

Peace,

try looking for a rootkit using chkrootkit http://www.chkrootkit.org/download/.
Also please check your temp folder probably /tmp or /dev/shm for strange files and last check for strange processes running the command ps aux.

(I suspect of a rootkit because it is very strange for only named and ls to stop functioning)

Back