Whoiscart + RH9 + DA

I may be wrong, but I thought I heard of someone using the IONcube version of the files (but still use Zend with apache).. just something that I remember hearing somewhere.

John

The issue isn't with Whois.Cart(), but actually lies with segfaults caused by apache when using Zend Optimizer.

I've addressed this elsewhere, but I believe it to be a glibc error. My first suggestion would be to reinstall the glib components and recompile apache and try from there.

The error is a SIGSEGV11, which is a segmentation signal usually caused by bad pointers or version/platform mismatch. True however, that as worst case scenario, should RedHat not be able to solve running Zend Optimizer we'll have IonCube versions released with final version.

What's strange is that we have the same stuff as RH9 installed on our test rack. glibc2.3, latest apache 1.3.x, php 4.3.3 and everything works like a charm. Of course, you could always turf RH9 and get a real OS like Slackware! :)

Cheers.
A.

Saeven said:
you could always turf RH9 and get a real OS like Slackware! :)

but then there would be no DA :D (or is slackware based around rh? - never used it before)

Assuming the RH9 issue is still a consideration - I don't want to have to recompile, etc. I really like what I'm seeing in your product (assuming it handles paysystems and paypal recurring correctly - unlike "coin") - but do you have any anticipated date for final release?

I suppose if I had to, I could recompile apache, but I'd want to know that it's definately going to fix the issue.

thanks for any feedback you can offer.

Joe

Well,

The issue for us is actually the contrapositive of what you state. The problem with RH9 and Zend is widespread, RH9 is new and relatively untested and Zend Optimizer works on stock components.

If Zend Optimizer doesn't work, the components it relies upon have definitely been modified. Zend has little system requirements:

glibc
apache
php

One of these has to be the culprit. I'm certain that DA doesn't have its fingers in glibc or php. Has DA altered apache in any manner? There's that side of the coin to explore as well.

In any case, we can infer and deduct as much as we want, the truth is that until someone takes the time to test a recompile from first-level source, there will exist no means for anyone to assert the reason why zend optimizer + apache segfaults on RH9 boxes running DA. Zend Optimizer does state that it supports RH9 :

http://www.zend.com/store/products/product_compatibility.php#id45

Perhaps DirectAdmin is the source after all? Someone should install RH9 by itself with apache and ZO to see if it works.

Regards.
A

I've got a new 9.0 box here, that doesn't have DA installed yet.... I'll try installing ZO and see if I get any similar errors.

I may not be the best one to test it, but I'll give it a shot.

Joe

I can help if you like, I have time over the next 45 minutes...(given it's connected)

have a spare redhat 9 box with plesk 6 and zend, aswell as the system im using now. If you want to try whoiscart on either of them send me a pm ;)

Chris

Last edited:
I'm getting errors with the default Redhat installs... so it's not DA, it's something between RH and ZO...

Thanks for your help...

I'm assuming there's no issues with 7.3 and whoiscart?

Joe

I got seg faults up the wazoo... thats weird. 9.0 ?

Hopefully John (DA) will be able to check into this fairly quickly...

thanks for letting me know.

im thinking the problem is with the preinstalled zend for some reason

I just did the update from Apache 1.3.28 and php 4.3.3 to Apache 1.3.29 and php 4.3.4 and I am now getting the seg faults with the Zend optimizer. I can remove Zend, but of course my Whois.cart will stop working, but everything else will work fin. I was not getting them with the previous versions. I am going to try a few things to figure out exactly which one of the updates is causing the problem. It worked fine before the update, so it has to be either apache, php or the frontpage stuff. If all else fails, I will just have to try and bring myself back to the version that worked.

I can confirm that it works with:

- glibc 2.3.2
- apache 2.0 filter
- php 4.3.4
- zend optimizer 2.1.0

and

- glibc 2.3.2
- apache 1.3.8
- php 4.3.4
- zend optimizer 2.1.0

If I purchase this now, install it on an Ensim 3.1.x server -

1) will it work
2) will it be transferrable to another server later? (DA)

Thanks

Can transfer to any server you like - domain name has to match is the only restraint.

Saeven said:
I can confirm that it works with:

- glibc 2.3.2
- apache 1.3.8
- php 4.3.4
- zend optimizer 2.1.0

So far, I have tried all combinations
apache 1.3.28 and 1.3.29
php-4.3.3 and 4
zend optimizer 2.1.0a and b

I have not touched my glibc.

All are seg faulting now.

I had a version that was working, and I can't seem to compile it to that state again. I may just have to use my backups.

Sure is a pain. I really hope Zend fixes this problem. It's not like RedHat 9.0 is some obscure version of Linux. I know you mention the glibc version and it would certainly make a difference, but have you or Zend actually tried using Zend on RedHat 9.0 with their version of glibc and apache built with their compiler? I do know RedHat tends to "tweak" a lot of stuff, and not always for the better.

RedHat isn't the problem I don't believe. We above deducted that on a RH9 + Plesk6 machine, everything worked. I believe the problem to be DA. It is the only thing that remains constant among the troublesome boxes.

Hello,

The only thing I'm confused is that *all* other OS's work other than RH9.. so.. something is different where the compile of apache/php doesn't like zend on rh9, but it works for other OS's.. this quite the conundrum. I agree that zend states it supports redhat 9. It could very well be that something in the method we use to compile apache is at fault, but I do not know what it is/could be.. but again, it works on the other OS's.. :confused:

John

Back